Aragonite, Dolomite, and Calcite. Is there any enzymatic advantage to one over the other for coral?

AKG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Calcite vs Aragonite vs Dolomite have any enzymatic advantage to the calicoblastic cell layer of corals? I know the conversion process is generally Calcite to Aragonite, but if I used Aragonite crystal, (not sand) would it skip the process on the cell wall or make any difference compared to Calcite, leading to faster growth?

I know Calcite is generally the purest and usually impurity consists of Magnesium, Iron, and Manganese, whereas Aragonite can have Strontium, Barium, and Lead, and Dolomite is basically 50/50 Magnesium to Calcium content.

But if there's some Ultra Geology Nerd reading this right now, would there be any biological advantage/ disadvantage to using Kimmeridgian, Devonian, or Portlandian limestone for live rock, with a dark cycle?

I'm certainly interested in trying one of each.

World Wide Corals

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Calcite vs Aragonite vs Dolomite have any enzymatic advantage to the calicoblastic cell layer of corals? I know the conversion process is generally Calcite to Aragonite, but if I used Aragonite crystal, (not sand) would it skip the process on the cell wall or make any difference compared to Calcite, leading to faster growth?

I know Calcite is generally the purest and usually impurity consists of Magnesium, Iron, and Manganese, whereas Aragonite can have Strontium, Barium, and Lead, and Dolomite is basically 50/50 Magnesium to Calcium content.

But if there's some Ultra Geology Nerd reading this right now, would there be any biological advantage/ disadvantage to using Kimmeridgian, Devonian, or Portlandian limestone for live rock, with a dark cycle?

I'm certainly interested in trying one of each.
The process for a coral to make its skeleton starts with dissolved calcium. It would seem that the type of external minerals present in the aquarium might not matter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process for a coral to make its skeleton starts with dissolved calcium. It would seem that the type of external minerals present in the aquarium might not matter.

Agree. They use calcium and alk to make skeletons.

Aragonite sand dissolves more readily than calcite, but I don’t know if that’s an advantage or not.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back