Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I bought the Apex FMK (Flow Monitor Kit) and installed the 1/2 flow sensor in line in my return hose to my DT . I have a EFLUX return pump that pumps up to 1050 gph. Before I installed the senor I ran my pump and 70% power and everything seemed to be good. I could see where it raised the water on the glass across the tank so it really seemed to have a great turn over. I was never really sure what the GPH was for sure. After I installed the flow senor and turned my pump back on I had to turn the pump all the way up to 100% and also adjust my valve on my drain pipe. My flow sensor is showing that I have 219GPH from my flow pump. I just dont feel like it is flowing like it was though. My over all capacity of my tank is 43 gallons so I am barely getting over 5 times my tank in flow and for me that isnt enough. The kit that I got (FMK kit) came with a 1" and two 1/2' flow senor. I am wondering if I should move up to the 1" sensor because the 1/2" might be restricting the flow way to much and causing way to much back pressure and not allowing what I need. I just dont believe that a 1050gph pump is only going to put out 219gph. I know you will lose some of your pressure from different stuff but I just dont see it losing that much. I wanted to get the thoughts of other people and see what you think. I am also wondering if it might be the fittings that I have on the sensor to join to the return hose going back to the tank. The openings on each end seem to be kind of small to me. Please give me your thoughts or maybe what you had to do with yours as well.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the flow in the display visibly seem reduced?

If it does, I would recommend the 1" sensor as I believe your assumption would be correct that the 1/2" sensor is reducing your flow rate.

Also remember not to mount the flow sensor to close to your pump or an elbow as it will show inaccurate readings. I don't remember the exact distance but I want to say it was like 3-4" away from the pump or any elbows/tees/valves.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the flow in the display visibly seem reduced?

If it does, I would recommend the 1" sensor as I believe your assumption would be correct that the 1/2" sensor is reducing your flow rate.

Also remember not to mount the flow sensor to close to your pump or an elbow as it will show inaccurate readings. I don't remember the exact distance but I want to say it was like 3-4" away from the pump or any elbows/tees/valves.
My return is a clear rubber hose that came with the reefer 170. I have it mounted about 4" from the plastic line where is goes into my DT. And yes it does seem to be a slower flow in the DT as well. I think I am going to go up with the 1" flow sensor I just have to find a way to mount it into the hose that I have already. Or I might have to switch over to PVC all the way from tank to pump. Id like to not do that because I like the movement that I get with the hose that I have with what came with the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe my pump is bad. I replaced the 1/2” flow sensor with the 1” flow sensor tonight and the most I can get out of the pump now is about 296GPH so I am guessing its the pump. That’s ticks me off I have only had that pump for a couple months now. I guess everything has some bad products now and then. They all cant be perfect products they put out everyday. I will send current a email and let them know about it and see what I can get them to do. They have taken great care of anything that has came up so far. Oh while at least I got the sensor changed out.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back