Apex DOS bricked after AOS/Software update

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm glad I didn't update anything until this last weekend. I guess next updates will have a longer "cooling" period before I click to update.

Perhaps if not planning to add newer modules there is no point of updating at all. The exclamation is annoying in Fusion but that's better then a bricked system.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5696.png
IMG_5697.png
I am unfortunately in the hospital and cannot fix all the problems on my apex when I needed it to work the most. Fortunately my nephew is monitoring my tank. No update will go through, not recognized modules and it quit charting everything.
IMG_5698.png

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you guys get everything straighten out, I thought Apex was making a comeback, I think this industry needs them to keep everything stable.

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been messing with mine for the past 4 hours... Messed all kinds of Sh1t up... I have 32 modules, and after updating the apex to version 5.12 5O24, 8 of my 14 DOS units took a $h*t. I was able to get 3 of them back online, but 5 are not working at all. I thought it was seeing the unit twice because it assigned new module numbers to those devices but still kept the old module numbers as well. So, my immediate thought was there must be a conflict somewhere, even though none of those DOS units were working. Both module numbers for the same unit showed disconnected under the modules page, so I deleted the old module and new module (which is the same device, just showing as 2 modules) and then re-plugged them back in. Now, only the "new" module shows up but still shows disconnected. what a mess.

I really wish Neptune would give us a way to download our apex config to a .CFG file and allow us to edit it. At least then, I could put everything in order and assign the module numbers to the devices I want. Doesn't seem hard to do. I tried to download the .BIN file but can't open it. I'm sure if a lot of people asked for this, they could easily find a way to do it. This way, if you screw something up, you quickly factory reset and reupload your config.

My second biggest complaint is not knowing what device is what when you have a big issue like this and have 30+ modules. At one point I had close to 45 modules being used. I had DOS_37, DOS_38, DOS_39, etc show up but only knew I was missing Dosers 5,6,10,11,14. Soon I figured out DOS_5 was also DOS_37. That was the duplicate issue I mentioned above. If they allowed us to see something like a Mac address on each device or some kind of unique identifier, it would make troubleshooting much easier.

THE FUNNIEST THING OUT OF ALL OF THIS. I got a pop-up message stating that there was a communication error and suggested that I unplug the DOS units prior to the update. I got that under the modules page AFTER I had updated.. Shouldn't that be a warning prior to doing the update?

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been messing with mine for the past 4 hours... Messed all kinds of Sh1t up... I have 32 modules, and after updating the apex to version 5.12 5O24, 8 of my 14 DOS units took a $h*t. I was able to get 3 of them back online, but 5 are not working at all. I thought it was seeing the unit twice because it assigned new module numbers to those devices but still kept the old module numbers as well. So, my immediate thought was there must be a conflict somewhere, even though none of those DOS units were working. Both module numbers for the same unit showed disconnected under the modules page, so I deleted the old module and new module (which is the same device, just showing as 2 modules) and then re-plugged them back in. Now, only the "new" module shows up but still shows disconnected. what a mess.

I really wish Neptune would give us a way to download our apex config to a .CFG file and allow us to edit it. At least then, I could put everything in order and assign the module numbers to the devices I want. Doesn't seem hard to do. I tried to download the .BIN file but can't open it. I'm sure if a lot of people asked for this, they could easily find a way to do it. This way, if you screw something up, you quickly factory reset and reupload your config.

My second biggest complaint is not knowing what device is what when you have a big issue like this and have 30+ modules. At one point I had close to 45 modules being used. I had DOS_37, DOS_38, DOS_39, etc show up but only knew I was missing Dosers 5,6,10,11,14. Soon I figured out DOS_5 was also DOS_37. That was the duplicate issue I mentioned above. If they allowed us to see something like a Mac address on each device or some kind of unique identifier, it would make troubleshooting much easier.

THE FUNNIEST THING OUT OF ALL OF THIS. I got a pop-up message stating that there was a communication error and suggested that I unplug the DOS units prior to the update. I got that under the modules page AFTER I had updated.. Shouldn't that be a warning prior to doing the update?

Not downplaying the issue at hand here - its very serious - but I think you should think about fragmenting your APEX into multiple brains with this many modules (if possible). With brains available for a song I run 2 on my display, one for my QT and I am thinking to dedicate one to my fully automated RODI that I built.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably goes without saying but as you add them go to the modules page and give meaningful names. Also bust out that label maker and tag it.

I hear and understand the comment but some home aquariums remind me of a neglected rack in a data center. I am not saying this is anything relates to you or your problem but rather looking at it as me sending Sally to go troubleshoot Biff's network issue in the TELCOM closet. Sally gets there and sees spaghetti wires everywhere and squirrels building their love shack. No way for her to resolve the issue because it is a tangled mess...

I get it. Login to Fusion, hit a ID button on the module in question, and have it flash a LED or something. So we work around it. Of course this again is just me talking out loud and not saying you didn't do this or me trying to negate the concern. More of if a new hobbyist doesn't do this, they should. Just like they should back up configuration files or keep notes.

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fusion showing me this, more nervous then ever before.

1721933512219.png

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My updates are OK.

Nothing out of place... except... These past two days. The evening "Test A" keep failing when it kick started on its own.

It always showed up as "Test Fail" but when I run test manually, it works again. And the morning where it tested everything, it work just fine.

Issue is the Evening KH Test, 2 days in a row now. Anyone facing same issue?

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My updates are OK.

Nothing out of place... except... These past two days. The evening "Test A" keep failing when it kick started on its own.

It always showed up as "Test Fail" but when I run test manually, it works again. And the morning where it tested everything, it work just fine.

Issue is the Evening KH Test, 2 days in a row now. Anyone facing same issue?
How did this turn out?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back