Anyone know where to find this kind of rock?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to source some rock for my new build and looking for something different than Marco, I think finding rock like this in the hobby is almost impossible now, anyone have any ideas though?
IMG_5892.png
IMG_5891.png
IMG_5890.png
It’s not the small porous stuff like Marco, I’ve seen some have rock like this in build threads @thatmanMIKEson 120 build comes to mind I think rock like this was more prevalent in the hobby years back.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use diver collected live rock from Florida

I spoke with Dan Sanchez, diver/owner of Gulf Live Rock. He is out of commission until insurance buys him a new boat.
So no telling how long it would be. I’m not far from tbs that’s always an option… I’m not sure if they have bigger pieces though

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no telling how long it would be. I’m not far from tbs that’s always an option… I’m not sure if they have bigger pieces though
Gulf Live Rock is in Tampa Bay also. They definitely have large pieces. Once when I was setting up a 150G system, I described what I wanted as a center piece then Dan took a picture of the rock and I approved it. This was 10 years ago when I was buying 200 pounds at a time.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local lfs has this in a 120g freshwater system that has since been torn down. I thinking of trying to buy it, this is what I’m looking for
IMG_4982.jpeg

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into pukani rock.
(if you can find it)
Not even looking for live rock, dry is fine tank will be completely sps so will have plenty of time to season the rock before anything goes in, except fish of course

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if you are looking for that old skool pacific stuff with dusters and porities: I think you are gonna need a time machine LOL…

I’ve purchased a few hundred pounds of the mariculture Florida gulf stuff by now I think

most of it seems to be ancient reef rock mined from dry land then “re-submerged” after several million years ..
it’s definitely “reef rock” just not from this epoch and “re-encrusted” after a few months submerged (or how ever long) …
I actually see fossilized sponges et, but that stuff never has any real boring worms, et like bonfires reef rock…
VERY close facsimile just be advised the recruited life is fairly recent (which is OK )

Also note some of the rock comes in different mineralization stages…some it it isn’t as porous as you might like …not as “chalky” so to speak

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking for that old skool pacific stuff with dusters and porities: I think you are gonna need a time machine LOL…

I’ve purchased a few hundred pounds of the mariculture Florida gulf stuff by now I think

most of it seems to be ancient reef rock mined from dry land then “re-submerged” after several million years ..
it’s definitely “reef rock” just not from this epoch and “re-encrusted” after a few months submerged (or how ever long) …
I actually see fossilized sponges et, but that stuff never has any real boring worms, et like bonfires reef rock…
VERY close facsimile just be advised the recruited life is fairly recent (which is OK )

Also note some of the rock comes in different mineralization stages…some it it isn’t as porous as you might like …not as “chalky” so to speak
What about using natural limestone? I live in Florida this stuff is literally everywhere. I set up my 6 foot cichlid tank with this
IMG_2553.jpeg
IMG_2551.jpeg

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What about using natural limestone? I live in Florida this stuff is literally everywhere.
Exactly. I’ve been to Florida a lot, and why not just drop that “Pliocene” reef back into the gulf for a few months and Voila’ …

I haven’t confirmed it, but that’s what I think that’s all the mariculture “Gulf rock” company’s do…

Will Florida law allow you do it it yourself?
If not perhaps cleans some off and re-seed it with some smaller amount of already live rock

Added: back in the day I was once into some of the Lake Victoria stuff …

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would avoid the Florida limestone. It will have a high Iron content & there is a possibility of aluminum.
hmmm that’s useful info

Also something I didn’t think about is that maturing rock in the vast ocean probably mitigates and leachate from the rock…
Maybe call KP Aquatics or similar, maybe they can reveal thier rock sources…I’m pretty sure the stuff they sell originated on land

So backing off as I have no idea how to cure “mined rock” or how to test if it’s safe

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one
hmmm that’s useful info

Also something I didn’t think about is that maturing rock in the vast ocean probably mitigates and leachate from the rock…
Maybe call KP Aquatics or similar, maybe they can reveal thier rock sources…I’m pretty sure the stuff they sell originated on land

So backing off as I have no idea how to cure “mined rock” or how to test if it’s safe
one idea i have been throwing around as of recent was just using marco or similar rock (i know) even some “artificial” pieces and seeding them in an outdoor “pond” or even a tank with real live rock (aussie rock probably) no heater just larger body of natural saltwater, sunlight, pumps for circulation & a auto top off or lid to enclose and minimize evaporation

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I’ve been to Florida a lot, and why not just drop that “Pliocene” reef back into the gulf for a few months and Voila’ …

I haven’t confirmed it, but that’s what I think that’s all the mariculture “Gulf rock” company’s do…

Will Florida law allow you do it it yourself?
If not perhaps cleans some off and re-seed it with some smaller amount of already live rock

Added: back in the day I was once into some of the Lake Victoria stuff …

This is old but shows TBSW when they started their current lease gives all of the information about how they do it

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back