Anyone keep the red coris wrasse in an SPS tank?

Nutramar

squidarcher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently, as you can tell by my profile picture, have a juvenile red coris wrasse Coris gainard and she is my favorite fish. She is a PITA as she constantly overturns things on the sandbed looking for food, and occasionally goes after snails. She's about 4-5'' right now, and I think her behavior is manageable. However, I know she has a good deal of growing to do. She has never touched any corals but her destructiveness has OCCASIONALLY flipped them over. I'm soon to be upgrading to a 150 lagoon, which will afford me the ability to catch her (which is impossible right now). I have acropora doing well in my tank right now, and I would like for the new tank to have lots of SPS. Do y'all thing it's worth it to keep her in that reef tank? Only part of it will be SPS. Again, she really is my favorite fish! But I don't know what to do :(

Top Shelf Aquatics

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Coris are a semi aggressive and definitely a destructive fish that can grow to 12". They, like Dragon Wrasse, will definitely pick up tank rocks, decorations, or anything else they can get in their mouths and move them to somewhere not necessarily convenient for a reef or fish only tank
I wouldn't recommend a red Coris for a reef.
Unless you like constant remodeling and no clean up crew...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently, as you can tell by my profile picture, have a juvenile red coris wrasse Coris gainard and she is my favorite fish. She is a PITA as she constantly overturns things on the sandbed looking for food, and occasionally goes after snails. She's about 4-5'' right now, and I think her behavior is manageable. However, I know she has a good deal of growing to do. She has never touched any corals but her destructiveness has OCCASIONALLY flipped them over. I'm soon to be upgrading to a 150 lagoon, which will afford me the ability to catch her (which is impossible right now). I have acropora doing well in my tank right now, and I would like for the new tank to have lots of SPS. Do y'all thing it's worth it to keep her in that reef tank? Only part of it will be SPS. Again, she really is my favorite fish! But I don't know what to do :(
Most Coris species’ that get large are not safe for a SPS reef, they’ll flip rocks constantly (even rocks you don’t think they can lift will likely be lifted). You want this to be in with coral that will withstand flipping such as Leathers and Softies.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back