Anyone have long term success with blue squamous as?

Rainblood

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one about a couple years ago from Austin Aqua Farms but it never did well compared to my other clams and ultimately didn’t make it. Has anyone had any blue squammies that have lasted?

4BF931D0-BFCC-43E0-8B56-8833C48DB712.jpeg
5FF613BB-25EE-405B-8E4D-DC0EDE7F3B6B.jpeg

AS

wjgeese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one about a couple years ago from Austin Aqua Farms but it never did well compared to my other clams and ultimately didn’t make it. Has anyone had any blue squammies that have lasted?

View attachment 3130508View attachment 3130514
I had 7 blue squams at one point, 6 around 5" or so and one 10" one...all did well for about a year, growing well, then one by one they turned pale (looked bleached) and expired. No changes were made to tank or lighting...all other clams and corals doing well and growing. Could never figure out what happened.

OP
OP
Rainblood

Rainblood

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the case for most people I’ve talked to…and these are people who know what they’re doing. I’ve chased my fair share of unicorns but wonder what the deal is on these blues

World Wide Corals

Salty_Taste

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

wjgeese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple of mine...had for couple of years, doubled in size, then faded and died, been keeping clams since 1990 and never had this issue before..
have seen lots of pics of people's blue squamosas after some time and all look faded/bleached....incl Sanjays tank. weird

Screenshot_20230430_201617_Gallery.jpg

Nutramar Foods

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks on its way to bleaching...note the faded colors vs the ones I just posted. odd.
It is not bleaching at all. Was very healthy and growing. It is under very bright white light instead of blue like your light.

wjgeese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not bleaching at all. Was very healthy and growing. It is under very bright white light instead of blue like your light.
my light wasn't blue...it was a bad
pic with my phone. I hate windex blue tanks..my spectrum is about 10k. If you look at the contrast between the blue and black of yours vs mine you will see yours isn't as sharp. Yours looks like it's starting to bleach.
sorry

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under bright light the density of zooxanthellae is less. That is why they looks lighter, similar to SPS get “brown out” when they are in lower light. Some clams just have sharp color border which is a desirable while other just does not have sharp border.
that clam was very heathy and growing until my tank crashed.:(

Nutramar Foods

wjgeese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under bright light the density of zooxanthellae is less. That is why they looks lighter, similar to SPS get “brown out” when they are in lower light. Some clams just have sharp color border which is a desirable while other just does not have sharp border.
that clam was very heathy and growing until my tank crashed.:(
Exactly my point...your clam looks bleached bc you may have shcocked it with too much light too quickly. Clams can be sensitive amd need to be acclimated to strong light, otherwise they can dump their zoox (like yours). Suggest slowly acclimating to high intensity light next time.

Mine were under 400+ PAR for several years, then all of a sudden they lightened up and died...over a period of about 6 months of course.

Sorry you lost yours as well..they are so rare these days

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for several years, it died in a tank crash. It always beautiful like that . It is not bleach but that is the color it normally is for years.

OP
OP
Rainblood

Rainblood

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...0 for 10 is pretty depressing.
Where did/do you guys source your clams? I don't have anything local and know of only a few online sources that have them every once in awhile - PEA, AAF and Clamania. LA has them listed but I've never seen them available/in stock.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Legendary
Back