+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea - 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel

With my aquascape complete and the tank filled it was time to get all of the controllers and wires cleaned up. I am using the large slide out control panel for this setup and overall I am impressed with how easy the installation was. I think they did a good job of making it pretty intuitive and bullet proof. I think the only downside to their design or implementation of it -- they should have had a standoff on the back of the board to allow for mounting on the back of the panel.

I think these companies (especially Red Sea) could better anticipate some of the benefits and maximize the effectiveness of a product. Including some 4" spacers for the board to the drawer slides and pre-drilling holes in the corners and off set center of the board for pass-thru would have basically made this design perfect. Doing so would have allowed for the mount of power bricks and and a little easier cord management!

300xl_12.png

I refused to be deterred though! And I didn't really feel like busting out the hole saw myself until I actually *need* to create more space for the controller board. I do want to also commend Red Sea on the design to allow for some space both below and above the board with clearance for the floor and ceiling of the cabinet. I was able to maximize space by mounting my Vortech and Vectra controller as well as my Apex a little over both edges. I also flipped my Apex brain upside down to maximize my cord management!

Like I said originally -- this isn't a perfect implementation yet and I have a few things I need to do to better tuck in cables and make the pull out function return in seemlessly as far as re-tucking the end sections after the slide is pulled out and pushed back in - but it is definitely an improvement over the cord nest I had brewing for the initial fill and mixing within the tank!

300xl_13.png

At this point the tank has been filled and cycling for a month. I'm waiting on a lid to be delivered and then I will hopefully begin to add fish! I need to spend some time on a weekend and re-do some of the wiring that I'm not happy with as far as the controller pull out functionality.

Thanks for reading my update!

Nutramar Foods

brettonw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did indeed lift the tank by myself! I really don't recommend it. The plate on the bottom that supports the bulkheads is quite the
Grief. I'm 6'4", 230# and I wouldn't have tried that. Paid a buddy $20 to help me, in lieu of beer.

Nutramar Foods

alfpiccolo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea - 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel

With my aquascape complete and the tank filled it was time to get all of the controllers and wires cleaned up. I am using the large slide out control panel for this setup and overall I am impressed with how easy the installation was. I think they did a good job of making it pretty intuitive and bullet proof. I think the only downside to their design or implementation of it -- they should have had a standoff on the back of the board to allow for mounting on the back of the panel.

I think these companies (especially Red Sea) could better anticipate some of the benefits and maximize the effectiveness of a product. Including some 4" spacers for the board to the drawer slides and pre-drilling holes in the corners and off set center of the board for pass-thru would have basically made this design perfect. Doing so would have allowed for the mount of power bricks and and a little easier cord management!

View attachment 2732793

I refused to be deterred though! And I didn't really feel like busting out the hole saw myself until I actually *need* to create more space for the controller board. I do want to also commend Red Sea on the design to allow for some space both below and above the board with clearance for the floor and ceiling of the cabinet. I was able to maximize space by mounting my Vortech and Vectra controller as well as my Apex a little over both edges. I also flipped my Apex brain upside down to maximize my cord management!

Like I said originally -- this isn't a perfect implementation yet and I have a few things I need to do to better tuck in cables and make the pull out function return in seemlessly as far as re-tucking the end sections after the slide is pulled out and pushed back in - but it is definitely an improvement over the cord nest I had brewing for the initial fill and mixing within the tank!

View attachment 2732794

At this point the tank has been filled and cycling for a month. I'm waiting on a lid to be delivered and then I will hopefully begin to add fish! I need to spend some time on a weekend and re-do some of the wiring that I'm not happy with as far as the controller pull out functionality.

Thanks for reading my update!
Thank you so much for sharing. Will continue to follow.. I also have a empty 300XL G2 sitting in my family room waiting for me. between Ca RX and Chiller, RO Reservoir, UV Sterilizer, controllers...need to plan all the space needed outside of the tank.

anthonymckay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress! My main concern would be having the UV filter completely inline on the return pump. Does the required flow rate of the UV filter different much from the flow rate of the return pump? The slower the flow over UV the more effective it is (depending on what you're trying to target with UV), whereas return pump flow is usually much higher. Not to mention all those kinks and bends in the return line will reduce it's effective flow rate back into the display tank.

Last edited:
BRS

NotoriousDMC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only choosing to run a ReefMat 500 on my 750XXL, so I think waiting to swap out the 1200 for the 500 is a great choice.
Agreed. I have the 300XL and the RM 500. I can’t imagine the 1200 being remotely manageable. Best case, you’d have to remove it anytime you wanted to the get the RSK 300 out of the sump for cleaning etc. (I have the same skimmer.)

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have the 300XL and the RM 500. I can’t imagine the 1200 being remotely manageable. Best case, you’d have to remove it anytime you wanted to the get the RSK 300 out of the sump for cleaning etc. (I have the same skimmer.)
I ended up upgrading to the ReefMat 1200 in the end as I was just going through the smaller 500 rolls too quickly (every 6-7 days). I get between 20-24 days with a 1200 roll now.

AquaCave Logo Banner

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up upgrading to the ReefMat 1200 in the end as I was just going through the smaller 500 rolls too quickly (every 6-7 days). I get between 20-24 days with a 1200 roll now.
Holy crap! I thought mine was fast lol

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back