+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I’ve been reading twilliard’s thread “Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids” among others threads about getting rid of hydroids. I am planning on doing twilliard’s method this weekend.

I have a 50 gal. tank with about 50 lbs. of live rock that is about 50% covered in colonial hydroids. The tank has been running for about 15 years and at first I didn’t mind the hydroids as it wasn’t bothering me in my FOWLR. Now, I have been dabbling with the idea of turning it into a reef.

Since mid-November I have gotten a few frags of soft corals (Zoa’s, mushrooms, GSP, clove, a hammer and a frogspawn) hoping the corals would grow over the hydroids (not happening). I’ve also looked for things that would consume them, not happening either.

The rest of the livestock is as follows (very light bio-load), assorted snails, 1 urchin, 1 sand sifting star, 1 diamond head goby, 4 chromis, a emerald crab and a feather duster.

I have a few questions before I poison my tank this weekend.

I do have a quarantine tank set up and I plan to relocate the GSP and clove corals, the snails, starfish and feather duster. All else should survive yes? Do I need to relocate the urchin or other corals?

I already have Safe-guard canine de-wormer and it is my understanding that one packet will treat a 250 gal. tank, so if I were to open one packet and separate the little balls and discard the powder, divide the little balls into 5 portions and use one portion to treat my 50 gallon tank, is this correct?

Please let me know if I am missing something.
Thanks for your help,
Frank

Top Shelf Aquatics

Velcro

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck in the past covering them with kalk paste, or aiptasia-X. While it is obviously hard to get to the ones that are hiding under rock, I've found them to be pretty self limiting with normal parameters.

Avast

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see what TW says about the tolerant corals and the dose used, we are about to dose a different tank to try and zap them. One coral I can guarantee will overgrow them is war coral, mine has little spikelets instead of nice smooth polyps. it will literally creep up their tube, smother them, and grow down the other side its a worm destroyer.

my war brain eats hydroids for breakfast, but it takes a year to cover a small patch id do the meds lol./

OP
OP
G

Guppy Slayer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck in the past covering them with kalk paste, or aiptasia-X. While it is obviously hard to get to the ones that are hiding under rock, I've found them to be pretty self limiting with normal parameters.
Thanks but I think I'm at the point where it would be easier to treat the whole tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
G

Guppy Slayer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about posting a YouTube vid of my tank, I don't have a PC at home so everything is done on the phone, but here is a pic of what I'm dealing with. The polyp coral in the pic won't spread off the plug it sits on. This is the best pic I have of the hydroids.

IMG_1752.JPG

Corals.com

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, I just wanted to be sure I was clear on what was said in that thread before proceeding.
Got it. Twillard has been a bit busy of late. Wish I could give you more info.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I’ve been reading twilliard’s thread “Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids” among others threads about getting rid of hydroids. I am planning on doing twilliard’s method this weekend.

I have a 50 gal. tank with about 50 lbs. of live rock that is about 50% covered in colonial hydroids. The tank has been running for about 15 years and at first I didn’t mind the hydroids as it wasn’t bothering me in my FOWLR. Now, I have been dabbling with the idea of turning it into a reef.

Since mid-November I have gotten a few frags of soft corals (Zoa’s, mushrooms, GSP, clove, a hammer and a frogspawn) hoping the corals would grow over the hydroids (not happening). I’ve also looked for things that would consume them, not happening either.

The rest of the livestock is as follows (very light bio-load), assorted snails, 1 urchin, 1 sand sifting star, 1 diamond head goby, 4 chromis, a emerald crab and a feather duster.

I have a few questions before I poison my tank this weekend.

I do have a quarantine tank set up and I plan to relocate the GSP and clove corals, the snails, starfish and feather duster. All else should survive yes? Do I need to relocate the urchin or other corals?

I already have Safe-guard canine de-wormer and it is my understanding that one packet will treat a 250 gal. tank, so if I were to open one packet and separate the little balls and discard the powder, divide the little balls into 5 portions and use one portion to treat my 50 gallon tank, is this correct?

Please let me know if I am missing something.
Thanks for your help,
Frank
What do I do about my nassarius snails? I have no idea how many I even have. What about my peppermint shrimp?

Nutramar Foods
Avast

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one peppermint shrimp in the tank, tonight I got three more. If I don't start seeing some improvement in the next week or two I'm nuking the tank (I just hope Twilliard will put his two cents in before so).
I don't think peppermint shrimp will eat hydroids. I know mine don't.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back