Another new innovation from Orphek - OR4 Icon strip light !!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I was confused. It talked about that but then towards the end they talked about pairing it up with osix. Is the only reason for osix with these to get multiple bars on one power supply then?
Yea you'd dump the orig driver and add this "kit" instead.
Best to buy it originally though.
So 2 options I guess.
Looks to have the maximum wattage of SIX lights combined to be about 186 watts.
HLG-185-54h-Ais the pictured power supply. Possibly that is changeable?
Anyways here are the kit prices..

THIS seems to only work "out of the box" for the OR3 bars.
Kind of messy..
osix.jpg

aquadise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good. I used to have OR3 blue plus and enjoyed it.
I also own a new Natura now and really like it. I trust that OR4 will be good as well. But hell the price for the new OR4 is massive...

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 OR3's are rubbish and not built to last. Diodes keep on dying and I've given up taking them down to fix. First time they failed (about 2 months apart), was just out of warrantee. I contacted Orphek and they informed me mine were not part of batches with known problems so they wouldn't assist. Just hoping the Atlantik Icon doesn't suffer the same fate.
Sorry to hear that. I’ve got 5 of the Atlantik Icons, now over 2 years old, still going strong, not had any failures or diode issues…. Yet.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the new icon and two or4 bars to replace my radions. have yet to make the swap but I hope they serve me well. they seem like well made high quality lights.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they played with the diode layout some and made things more even,so thats nice !!! Still don't know how these will contend with thr Helix and thr quad core diodes.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI was the LAST one to the LED strip light market. There are a TON of other options that have been around a lot longer than Blades.
My LFS uses an older generation of this strip above his sales displays and the blues are pretty impressive.
The colors of the corals I bring to trade will often pop with colors I don’t see in my tank at home and I use ai 32’s.

Yagerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AI blade glow over a IM 20 I’m setting up as a frag tank.! Curious from others that are familiar with this light which one would be best for sps/ frag growth. Will also check out the quanta

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AI blade glow over a IM 20 I’m setting up as a frag tank.! Curious from others that are familiar with this light which one would be best for sps/ frag growth. Will also check out the quanta

You will more than likely get good growth with the Blue Plus and a Violet/UV combo. Idk how the new lenses are but you used to have to hang them super high because of the narrow lenses.

My personal opinion is as nice and shiny as these do look I feel like the Helix will do better with blending (quad core diodes vs dual core),mounting high and not to mention manual dimming straight out of the box. Do I wish Luca had a royal/violet combo only bar,yes !! But he is the lighting pro,not me.

I am planning on getting 2 Helix Meso Blue to mount to my t5 fixture and replace my XHO I currently have. Still works,but old tech and lenses are turning brown and probably coming close to running out of energy.

Dondalion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Orphex but the power supply has taken a crappy on me and now I have a expensive hanging light that is useless

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the new icon and two or4 bars to replace my radions. have yet to make the swap but I hope they serve me well. they seem like well made high quality lights.
You won’t be disappointed. I switched to Orphek 7 years ago after constant failures with Radions. First an Atlantik V4, then later an Icon. I have the original Atlantik now upgraded to Icon spec and as far as I know, Orphek are the only company that offer this. I added 4 OR3 bars to the Atlantik Icon for more spread and to shift the spectrum. It works well and the mounting options are great.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model to choose? More options bring more confusion.

I have two scenarios that I am using to create my early xmas shopping list :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::
  • Scenario 1: Acro/SPS dominate tank (4 yrs old)
    • Currently has 4 radion xr15 g5 pro, 1 radion xr30 g5 pro and 1 blade coral glow 57". The blade coral glow is on front edge of the tank.
    • Tank runs the typical light scenario of: first half - daylight, second half - all blue
    • I am looking for 1 stripe supplemental light on the back edge of the tank. By supplemental lighting, I am looking to increase par besides just filling in the space closer to the glass.
    • Which is best: Blue Plus, Blue Sky, UV/ Violet or Reef Day Plus? Based the info alone, I am thinking Blue Plus or UV/Violet? Suggestions?
  • Scenario 2: LPS + Acro mix tank (2 yrs old)
    • Currently has 6 radion xr15 g5/g6 pro
    • Tank runs the typical light scenario of: first half - daylight, second half - all blue
    • I am looking for 4 stripe supplemental lights for front edge, back edge and both side edges of the tank. By supplemental lighting, I hope to increase FILL more than higher par closer to the glass since I have more LPS in this tank.
    • Which is best: Blue Plus, Blue Sky, UV/ Violet or Reef Day Plus? Based the info alone, I am thinking Blue Plus or UV/Violet? Suggestions?
Thanks

reefer10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take to get orders for the OR4 bars? Placed my order Mon., 4 days later still no word, other than order placed?

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds about right, when I ordered my lights by the time I received tracking info the lights show up a day or two later

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back