+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya,
Any help with this one. This Anenome is about a month old, tank about 6 months old. Param SG 1.0250, Temp 25.5C, Ammonia, nitrites and phosphate 0, nitrates about 7.5, KH 10, calcium and mg are both a bit high, calcium around 500. Lights are Fluval Sea, on at almost max all colours for about 10 hours (fade in and out), 40 gallon tank.
it moved once, and settled here ever since. Fees reef roids maybe twice a week.
it suddenly started to do this. No obvious reason why but was after a water change (20%). It’s Closed but only on the bottom. Been 2 days now. Guessing it’s not light as the top is mostly always out. You can see the flow in the video.
any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_5578.MOV
    20.2 MB
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get what you're asking.
It looks healthy.
I do see you need to get phosphates off of zero, especially if you are at 10 KH.
Well that’s good news… concerned at the bottom is always retracted. Maybe over reacting. Would love to get the phosphate up but it ain’t budging with feeding. Nothing in there to remove it either. Appreciate the advice

BRS

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s good news… concerned at the bottom is always retracted. Maybe over reacting. Would love to get the phosphate up but it ain’t budging with feeding. Nothing in there to remove it either. Appreciate the advice
As long as the top of it is opening your fine.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those tentacles being retracted could be a sign of stress. If it only does it for one day I would not worry too much about it, but if it continues to be like that then something is definitely making it unhappy. It looks a bit pale and given your low nutrients that may be the cause. I would try to raise the nutrients a bit in the tank slowly and maybe try target feeding the nem so it get a bit more nutrition.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tentacles being retracted could be a sign of stress. If it only does it for one day I would not worry too much about it, but if it continues to be like that then something is definitely making it unhappy. It looks a bit pale and given your low nutrients that may be the cause. I would try to raise the nutrients a bit in the tank slowly and maybe try target feeding the nem so it get a bit more nutrition.
Thanks. Raise by reducing water changes?
I have spot fed reef roids twice this week but found a clump of it on the sand bed the next morning. Can’t be sure from the bta but likely. Try some mysis maybe or leave it be you think?

Nutramar Foods

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Raise by reducing water changes?
I have spot fed reef roids twice this week but found a clump of it on the sand bed the next morning. Can’t be sure from the bta but likely. Try some mysis maybe or leave it be you think?

I would try some mysis. You can either slow down some on water changes or if you are running a skimmer or any other filtration you can cut the time that is running.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hiya,
Any help with this one. This Anenome is about a month old, tank about 6 months old. Param SG 1.0250, Temp 25.5C, Ammonia, nitrites and phosphate 0, nitrates about 7.5, KH 10, calcium and mg are both a bit high, calcium around 500. Lights are Fluval Sea, on at almost max all colours for about 10 hours (fade in and out), 40 gallon tank.
it moved once, and settled here ever since. Fees reef roids maybe twice a week.
it suddenly started to do this. No obvious reason why but was after a water change (20%). It’s Closed but only on the bottom. Been 2 days now. Guessing it’s not light as the top is mostly always out. You can see the flow in the video.
any advice?
Overall the anemone looks good and may be tucked in that area due to stress from possibly:
Too much light and/or water flow
High Phosphate
Happy spot

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is stressing it a little. I think you are right in saying that it is not light since the top is fine. Was it exposed to air during water change? That can stressed it. Water movement is just right for BTA. Feeding anemone best if you feed every 3 days or less.They will, without fail, throw up if you feed them daily after a time.
Keep temp and Chemistry stable, it would recover fine.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the replies… i actually have a bag of GFO lurking in the bottom on the filter unit. That’s coming out too and will monitor phosphate daily. Had assumed was being used as quickly as made, perhaps not. Hadn’t quite appreciated the balance required between KH and phosphate so really useful stuff.
the water change was a little traumatic now you mention… Alexa turned my return pump back on half way thru and dumped a fair bit of water in the air then over by where the Anenome is. Still strikes me as odd the bottom half would shy away as apposed to the top tho. Anyways I have my action plan with advice given, fingers crossed!

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Mouth a little open this am. Not helping my concern

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 44
CLICK TO VIEW

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Fluval sea lights. I don't think they run a proper spectrum. But nobody runs any tests on them so I could be wrong. I ran a couple Fluval Sea Nanos on a small tank, just didn’t do it for me. Maybe look into getting a couple AI's used. Also it maybe that it doesn’t like the water change because the different parameters between old and new water.

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it be. If it accepts food, feed it a lil every few days. Keep your water chemistry stable and it’ll bounce back provided it has sufficient lighting. My RBTA I thought was for sure a gonner. Tried cipro treatments and all kinds of stuff. It wasn’t until I was told to just let it be that it got better. All you can do at this point is monitor and good husbandry.

Nutramar Foods

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose a but of phosphate. I have the brightwell aquatics ULNS reef phosphorous

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something is deffo wrong. I’m happy to be patient but I feel it might be the wrong thing. There’s brown bits appearing at the tips. Anyone seen it before? Some stringy substance along the bottom edge too. Tho hard to see

Attachments

• 6850C8EC-D19C-4EEB-B576-0B77B024428B.jpeg
    6850C8EC-D19C-4EEB-B576-0B77B024428B.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back