+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thinking of getting an anemone down the line. I have two questions. BTAs if that affects the answers.

How do nitrates affect anemones if at all?

Why is it recommended to wait (6 months I’ve read) before introduction? Is it a question of stable water parameters?

Thanks

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do nitrates affect anemones if at all?
Any animal added will usually effect nitrate by increasing nitrates as they feed and make waste. I dont think anemones add a significant amount though especially if you arent target feeding.
Why is it recommended to wait (6 months I’ve read) before introduction? Is it a question of stable water parameters?
It is at the least 6 months and tbh most of us recommend 9 months as a minimum. Im of the belief that it has to do with biological stability. It takes a long time for bacterial populations to stabilize in fish tanks started mostly using dry rock and bottled bacteria. Because of this you might see more issues with things like cyano, dinos, or diatoms in new tanks as opposed to older more stable systems

Nutramar Foods

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, misread that. Anemones in my experience seem to tolerate nitrates fine and i feel do better when they are kept in moderate levels. I like to target nitrate for 3-15ppm but a little higher or lower are fine. Stability is key to success for these animals. Nitrates, phosphate, and alkalinity as well as salinity and temperature are all going to be important to keep stable

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back