Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long tentacle anemone that I got from lfs. From some discussion in a different thread, some say the color of it looks like bleaching. My lfs said it is not bleaching and its actually called an “ultra” or an “ultra white” long tentacle anemone and that this color in the pictures are normal. It has remained this color since I got it a few weeks ago, remains open all day while closing up at night. It is also attached to the rock behind it. The darker lighting picture is from the day I got it and the other picture is from today.

I fed the anemone today (for the first time) a small piece of shrimp and it ate the whole thing.

Has anyone seen this color of lta before?

1200AB5F-7798-4F94-B84A-878F3AE56FE0.jpeg 9C59671B-DF72-45B5-AE8A-2F99FFFD6377.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a long tentacle anemone that I got from lfs. From some discussion in a different thread, some say the color of it looks like bleaching. My lfs said it is not bleaching and its actually called an “ultra” or an “ultra white” long tentacle anemone and that this color in the pictures are normal. It has remained this color since I got it a few weeks ago, remains open all day while closing up at night. It is also attached to the rock behind it. The darker lighting picture is from the day I got it and the other picture is from today.

I fed the anemone today (for the first time) a small piece of shrimp and it ate the whole thing.

Has anyone seen this color of lta before?

View attachment 3015961 View attachment 3015964
Looks to me like bleaching and comes from exposure to bright light in which they expel their energy and color source known as zooxanthellae
With moderate light and flow and great that it’s feeding- it should restore it’s true coloration
Even white condylactus and sense anemones have a tan or off white coloration to them

Top Shelf Aquatics

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bleached LTA. It looks fairly good otherwise, though. If it's attached, it's mouth isn't gaping, and it doesn't deflate during the day, it should be able to get better with just some TLC. Just feed it every few days with small portions of meaty food. You will know when it's doing better because patches and spots of brown will appear on it. From there, it's only a matter of time until it fully recovers. If your LFS sold it as an "ultra white", I might avoid shopping there, at least for anything alive.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote an article on treating bleached anemone with zooxanthellae transplant in the article archives. It is hard to tell if your anemone is completly bleached or not. The first pictures show some tentacles that are brown at these positions: at 8-10 o'clock, at 3 o'clock and at 4 o'clock. If these pictures are true (hard to tell from your picture), it indicates that your anemone is not completely bleached and should recover given a little loving care.

There are anemone that have white color pigment, mot noticeable and commonly seen in Condylactis gigantea, the Atlantic Giant anemones. These color is always white and oblate due to the pigment rather than translucent where you can see through, due to the lack of zooxanthellae like in your anemone.

Your anemone looks like it is healthy other than the lact of zooxanthellae. You should feed it small pieces of food every 3 days or so, like 1/4-1/2 of a pencil eraser, while given it good light and water condition, and it will slowly regain it's zoos, and become healthy again.
Here is a picture of "white" pigment in anemone (from the internet). This Condylactis gigantea is white becasue of it's white pigment, not due to bleaching. I hope you can see what I am talking about.
Anemone-Bon-0716.jpg-c-cr.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back