Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright... I've completely talked myself into having a clown/nem only tank. The tank will be a 30 gallon. I dont want to be torched, so I will say this first. My dad has kept Carpets and BTA's in the past. So I have someone who can immediately tell if somethings wrong (I could ask him about all of these questions but wont hurt to know from you all). I also do know not to add any nems till the tank is atleast 4 months old. With that said, please help me out with these questions...

1. I want to know what lights I need to be getting for nems
2. Are the selected nems compatible with the fish I will be getting?
3. What are my CUC restricted to with a nem?
4. How to acclimate the nem when I do get it?

Fish: There will only ever be 2 fish in this tank. Either a pair of clarkiis/maroons/tomatoes.

Nems that I'm interested in: Corkscrew; Carpets (please tell me which carpet I should prefer and how to tell them easily); Magnificent

Lights: I need yall to help me out here... On hand I have a FW light that I dont know what the ratings are. Mainly give off whites. (FYI I knowI shouldnt use this). I did ask pops about the lighting but he says there will be different lights now from what they had 10+ years ago; makes sense tbh...

So please do help me out with this... TIA

AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help a lot but to say I have kept a carpet, long tentacle aka corkscrew and bubble tips under led lighting of different brands. I have also kept all 3 of the clowns listed and IMO they get to large for a 30 gallon. I've kept them in 6 ft tanks and the females would swim the entire tank

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help a lot but to say I have kept a carpet, long tentacle aka corkscrew and bubble tips under led lighting of different brands. I have also kept all 3 of the clowns listed and IMO they get to large for a 30 gallon. I've kept them in 6 ft tanks and the females would swim the entire tank
Sheesh really? Even the Clarkiis? And what kind of led lights would you reccomend?

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be ok with clarkii as they are the smaller of the 3. This is JMO also from having them in larger tanks so its just an opinion ;) I had a maroon female that reached over 5 inches and tomato female over 4. The 3 you list have been some of the easiest to get to host in a nem than the smaller species. When I had clarkii in a 180g I had bubble tips, a carpet, and a corkscrews at the same time. The female would visit all of them. It was fun to watch. As to lighting pretty much any that will keep coral as blaxsun said. I've kept them under black boxes at first and radions later and now have bubble tips under noopsyche K7 III lights. I would just choose a good light in your budget.

World Wide Corals

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on researching in advance and asking all the right questions! Definitely use your dad's experience to your advantage too!
Just about any sufficiently powered LED you can buy from reputable manufacturers these days will provide enough light for anemones in a 30 gallon. Except the cheap LED fixtures sold at places like PetCo/Smart. Avoid those.
Kessil, Radion, AI, Noo-Psyche, Red Sea, Orphek, and others.

Lighting could also be determined by the species of anemone you decide on. Magnifican requite very high light, equal to SPS corals (can handle 400+ par). BTA's can get away with moderate lighting (150 to 300 par). LTA's and Sebae around 150 to 250 par) as they plant themselves in the sand bed or at the sand/rock interface.

I love my Kessil A360We's. Hard to beat the look of a beautiful anemone under the shimmer and color the Kessil's produce. Anemones look really good under blue LED's, but they will grow best with a more full spectrum light during the bulk of the light cycle. 10 to 12 hours light cycle is best with a ramp up and down as part of that time period.
As has been said, your current choice of clown species will quickly outgrow a 30 gallon.

You could get a small to medium size Magnfica with a pair of pink skunks, orange skunks, percula, or ocellaris clowns. All natural symbiants with the Magnifica. Since Magnifica can grow quickly, you would only be able to keep one in that size tank, and even then, it could outgrow the 30 gallon, if you're lucky! :)

Also consider a BTA specific tank. You could mix several different color morphs for variety. Although, there is some debate about some of the higher end BTA's (Chicago Sunburst) mixed with rose or rainbow BTA's. Maroon clowns and pink skunk clowns mix well with BTA's.

H. Crispa, aka Sebae anemones are also very nice and host several species of clown as well. A 30 gallon could house a nice Sebae for a long time.

Long tentacle anemones would work and there are some really beautiful LTA's. My only issue with them is that they really need a deep sand bed to do well and thrive. I prefer a shallow sand bed or bare bottom. I've had percula, ocellaris, pink skunk, and orange skunk clowns call an LTA home.

As has been said, you would be safe with most clean up crew critters. I've had all sorts of crabs, shrimp, snails, conches, and none have ever caused any issues with my nems. Your clowns will also do a fair job of keeping most critters away from the nem if they pose a threat.

Acclimation is best done fairly slowly, either via a drip, or adding small amounts of tank water to your nem's container every couple of minutes for about 30 minutes (after you've temperature acclimated first). Very similar to acclimating corals.

Hope this helps.
Here's my anemone dominant reef for inspiration:
Take a visit over to the clownfish and anemone forum too. Lots of good info there.

I'm a little biased, but to me, nothing beats a healthy Magnifica and a small harem of pink skunks or a pair of percula or ocellaris.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem/clown combination you get should align with natural hosts for the best outcome. For example, percs and oscellaris clowns go nuts for mags. Clarkii’s will literally swim in and out of the mouth of a haddoni, etc.

I’m partial to anemones, so I’d decide which of those you want to keep and then pick the type of clowns. But no reason not to choose the clowns first and then pick the most compatible anemone.

Haddoni are the easier carpet to keep versus gigs, but I prefer the look of gigs. There are some gorgeous blue/red/ pink haddoni however $$$$$, gigs are harder to find in anything other than brown or green. Mags truly are magnificent especially if you can find a red foot one, but are definitely the most difficult to keep, they also need more lighting and flow than haddoni (gigs need closer to the requirements of mags). LTA’s can be nice too, especially if you can find a purple one or other unusual color/pattern. They are the least costly of options as well. Haddoni and Lta both need at least a 3” sandbed. The others will prefer the rocks.

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on researching in advance and asking all the right questions! Definitely use your dad's experience to your advantage too!
Just about any sufficiently powered LED you can buy from reputable manufacturers these days will provide enough light for anemones in a 30 gallon. Except the cheap LED fixtures sold at places like PetCo/Smart. Avoid those.
Thank you! I 100% will use his experience!

Lighting could also be determined by the species of anemone you decide on. Magnifican requite very high light, equal to SPS corals (can handle 400+ par). BTA's can get away with moderate lighting (150 to 300 par). LTA's and Sebae around 150 to 250 par) as they plant themselves in the sand bed or at the sand/rock interface.
Ah alright!

I love my Kessil A360We's. Hard to beat the look of a beautiful anemone under the shimmer and color the Kessil's produce. Anemones look really good under blue LED's, but they will grow best with a more full spectrum light during the bulk of the light cycle. 10 to 12 hours light cycle is best with a ramp up and down as part of that time period.
As has been said, your current choice of clown species will quickly outgrow a 30 gallon.
I know they will outgrow the 30 gal... I will upgrade eventually. But for now, a 30 gal is as much as I can do.
I just love the tomatoes, clarkiis and maroons. The maroons especially. They remind me of my oscars in terms of temperament and personality. Whenever I look at maroons or tomatoes, I just go, "HEY! Saltwater Oscars!"... I was too dang attached to those fish... Had em 9 years till a filter failure blew the tank :(

You could get a small to medium size Magnfica with a pair of pink skunks, orange skunks, percula, or ocellaris clowns. All natural symbiants with the Magnifica. Since Magnifica can grow quickly, you would only be able to keep one in that size tank, and even then, it could outgrow the 30 gallon, if you're lucky! :)
Thats the problem. I dont like how skunks look and percs and occys left a sour taste in my mouth after my first time... I will keep only one nem per tank. Not more than that, even if I get from the smaller species. I really want it to be a clown/nem centrepiece tank! Full attention on one nem!

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider a BTA specific tank. You could mix several different color morphs for variety. Although, there is some debate about some of the higher end BTA's (Chicago Sunburst) mixed with rose or rainbow BTA's. Maroon clowns and pink skunk clowns mix well with BTA's.
BTA's are the easiest to keep I've heard. However I hate the way their tentacles look. Some love them for that... But I dont know. Just dont like em...
H. Crispa, aka Sebae anemones are also very nice and host several species of clown as well. A 30 gallon could house a nice Sebae for a long time.
Finding sebae nems in India is dang near impossible... You cant get them anywhere...

Long tentacle anemones would work and there are some really beautiful LTA's. My only issue with them is that they really need a deep sand bed to do well and thrive. I prefer a shallow sand bed or bare bottom. I've had percula, ocellaris, pink skunk, and orange skunk clowns call an LTA home.
I dont mind a deep sandbed at all... I have enough sand on hand for a 5inch sandbed!

As has been said, you would be safe with most clean up crew critters. I've had all sorts of crabs, shrimp, snails, conches, and none have ever caused any issues with my nems. Your clowns will also do a fair job of keeping most critters away from the nem if they pose a threat.
Im so delighted to hear that... Really wanted some blue hermits... Beautiful creatures...

Acclimation is best done fairly slowly, either via a drip, or adding small amounts of tank water to your nem's container every couple of minutes for about 30 minutes (after you've temperature acclimated first). Very similar to acclimating corals.
Alright thank you man!

A huge thanks for the detailed reply! Its awesome to have this little guide I can just bookmark and tuft away. I'm gonna start saving for the lights rn... All of them are quite pricy here in India or just not available!
A million thanks man!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem/clown combination you get should align with natural hosts for the best outcome. For example, percs and oscellaris clowns go nuts for mags. Clarkii’s will literally swim in and out of the mouth of a haddoni, etc.

I’m partial to anemones, so I’d decide which of those you want to keep and then pick the type of clowns. But no reason not to choose the clowns first and then pick the most compatible anemone.

Haddoni are the easier carpet to keep versus gigs, but I prefer the look of gigs. There are some gorgeous blue/red/ pink haddoni however $$$$$, gigs are harder to find in anything other than brown or green. Mags truly are magnificent especially if you can find a red foot one, but are definitely the most difficult to keep, they also need more lighting and flow than haddoni (gigs need closer to the requirements of mags). LTA’s can be nice too, especially if you can find a purple one or other unusual color/pattern. They are the least costly of options as well. Haddoni and Lta both need at least a 3” sandbed. The others will prefer the rocks.
i) Thats awesome!

ii) Im heavily leaning towards maroons or clarkiis so ill most like get LTA; Gigantea or a Haddoni...

iii) Haddonis are pushing me away cos of the fact that they can and will eat anything in their way... Incase I change my mind, and change the tank into a community tank somewhere down the line, I dont want to get rid of a nem that has presumably (if all goes well) established itself in the tank. That's the problem. I heard they need the tank to be more established than all the others. So its a competition between three I mentioned above. One plus with the haddoni is that they will accept Banggais, so thats there ig. LTA's are super awesome and they remind me of torch corals! Plus there's the fact that the most beautiful out of the three is naturally symbiotic with the best looking clown there is :D

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a sản bed and keep an Haddoni carpet. They are the most colorful of all the anemones. Colorful ones will cost you however.
8B4902A0-9A32-4608-B5E8-16BB20E60975.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

PhxScubaDesertRat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope this helps.
Here's my anemone dominant reef for inspiration:
Take a visit over to the clownfish and anemone forum too. Lots of good info there.

I'm a little biased, but to me, nothing beats a healthy Magnifica and a small harem of pink skunks or a pair of percula or ocellaris.
you seem to know your **** with nems, any thoughts on my new guy. i havent noticed any thing like this before. small black "balls' in side a few of the tips

IMG_0721.jpg image01.jpeg

AS

Groovyd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's are the easiest to keep I've heard. However I hate the way their tentacles look. Some love them for that... But I dont know. Just dont like em...

Finding sebae nems in India is dang near impossible... You cant get them anywhere...

I dont mind a deep sandbed at all... I have enough sand on hand for a 5inch sandbed!

Im so delighted to hear that... Really wanted some blue hermits... Beautiful creatures...

Alright thank you man!

A huge thanks for the detailed reply! Its awesome to have this little guide I can just bookmark and tuft away. I'm gonna start saving for the lights rn... All of them are quite pricy here in India or just not available!
A million thanks man!
I have lost several $$$ anonemie from not having extensive information. I am really new at this. My husband is the scientist. I just want to observe and enjoy. I fell in love with the Anenomi and the several people at out reef store all seemed to have different thoughts about their thriving. We have lost 3 and now we have what appears to be a healthy Rock Rose Nem. But my porcelain anenomie crab is too big to fit and has been rejected since the large Anenomi have all died. Oh the reef grief. But loved the extensive info offered on Nems. It could have saved me some $$ and grief.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back