Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarantining my fish and treating for ich. I put brand new water in last night when I moved them to quarantine. my ammonia levels are already 1ppm in just 24 hours. Am I seriously going to have to do a water change every single day? Or is there a better alternative? bottled bacteria price would add up very quickly. And clearly I do not have time to cycle it. any recommendations?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong. I heard prime was not good because it only makes it “safe” and doesn’t remove it.
Prime is an alternative and not solution- it locks it up temporarily and does not remove ammonia but neutralizes chlorine and chloramines. Water changes reduce Ammonia and best is to do a 20-25% water change then 2 gallons daily for 7-10 days but first confirm you’re not getting false readings. Take a water sample to an LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is an alternative and not solution- it locks it up temporarily and does not remove ammonia but neutralizes chlorine and chloramines. Water changes reduce Ammonia and best is to do a 20-25% water change then 2 gallons daily for 7-10 days but first confirm you’re not getting false readings. Take a water sample to an LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
I hear a lot of people highly recommending using the seachem ammonia alert badge? Opinion?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I hear a lot of people highly recommending using the seachem ammonia alert badge? Opinion?
I trust a politician more than I trust these badges. They also work in freshwater. The first two weeks they may provide good reference but remaining in water with treatments, bio loads and water changes….. like an ammonia strip that must be removed and tested for 60 seconds, how accurate can they be?
My trust is in quality kits such as Hanna, salifert and even nyos

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarantining my fish and treating for ich. I put brand new water in last night when I moved them to quarantine. my ammonia levels are already 1ppm in just 24 hours. Am I seriously going to have to do a water change every single day? Or is there a better alternative? bottled bacteria price would add up very quickly. And clearly I do not have time to cycle it. any recommendations?

Yes, you will have to change water each time the ammonia shows above 0.5 Total Ammonia.

You can take some bio media from your cycled DT and put it into the filter you're running on your QT.
It should catch up in couple of days by which time you can slow down the water changes.

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust a politician more than I trust these badges. They also work in freshwater. The first two weeks they may provide good reference but remaining in water with treatments, bio loads and water changes….. like an ammonia strip that must be removed and tested for 60 seconds, how accurate can they be?
My trust is in quality kits such as Hanna, salifert and even nyos
i read on another thread that copper dosing false reads liquid ammonia test. but you are saying i will be fine with a salifert ammonia test?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i read on another thread that copper dosing false reads liquid ammonia test. but you are saying i will be fine with a salifert ammonia test?
Copper can change characteristic but not substantial

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
in your opinion, is salifert ammonia test with copper dosing going to be innacurate to the extent of fish dying? or am i going to be pretty safe?
You want to monitor both copper and ammonia. Once ammonia climb’s above.025…. Measure copper. If coppersafe is let’s say 2.48. Do water change and Mix new water at 2.49 and you’re good
Just have to do this 4 weeks

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to monitor both copper and ammonia. Once ammonia climb’s above.025…. Measure copper. If coppersafe is let’s say 2.48. Do water change and Mix new water at 2.49 and you’re good
Just have to do this 4 weeks
I’m confused, I just want verification that I wont be screwed is I use generic Salifert ammonia test or if I need to blow money on a hanna checker.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, what is your ich treatment?" If you are using cupramine (and possibly other copper treatments) you can't use Prime as it releases free copper.

Coppersafe and Copper Power add about 0.50 ppm ammonia when you dose it, but it is not impossible for a new tank with a good fish load in it to build up 1 ppm of ammonia per day.

What is the pH of the tank? Ammonia is much more toxic at high pH than at low.

Do you have any established bio media you can move over from your DT? Filter floss, non-carbonate rock, etc.?
If not, your next best option is bacteria in a bottle, like Dr. Tims, but as you said, that will get pricey.

Jay

Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back