Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Nero 3 for my 15g cube - overkill, I know.

The specs online say it maxes at 2000g/Hr.
I want to test a night flow pattern so I dialled it down to 8% at night.

2000 x 0.08 = 160gph

However, the pump shows much more.

Is my math off, or could I using the app incorrectly?

Luckily no fish yet to sleep in the washing machine.

IMG_4123.png

IMG_4122.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 5 and thought the same, but 0 doesnt start at "0" it starts at the lowest the motor will stay engaged which is really like 20% or something.

Oh dear lol so 20% is my minimum?

400gph in a 15, 25x turnover at night. Might need to rethink the powerhead or keeping fish.

OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 5 and thought the same, but 0 doesnt start at "0" it starts at the lowest the motor will stay engaged which is really like 20% or something.
So I brought it down to 1%, which I imagine based on what you said, is actually 21%.

2000 x .21 = 420gph

but apparently it’s 600+ on the app

I don’t know lol

IMG_4124.png

IMG_4125.png

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Nero 3 in my 14g penninsula fyi. I don’t think it’s too powerful but it’s plenty of power combined with the mighty jet return pump. I’m still playing with it but I think my settings have been pretty conservative really. The mighty jet is doing most of the work. Here’s my settings just to show about how I run it in my setup. I would just set it up and turn off your return pump and watch it to get an idea of where flow should be.
E2DCA429-FB05-49C2-B76C-C90C31144EA3.png

OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@woodyarmadillo Thanks for that! What fish are you keeping? No issues with them in the flow?

edit: oh wait, I recognize that name!

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@woodyarmadillo Thanks for that! What fish are you keeping? No issues with them in the flow?

edit: oh wait, I recognize that name!

Honestly, if I’m going to have any problems, it’s with this might jet. I keep it pointed at the surface on the lowest setting and I really don’t even need a wave maker I don’t think. That Nero 3 just helps out. I use it for indirect. If I turn my return off and put the Nero on 35% it’s not doing much of anything but just helps get the lower area of the tank with a little flow. My fish (clowns) do not have a hard time with my flow at all. I do recognize that you have a cube though so your flow is going to bounce all over the place. I am using the long wall and making a circular pattern. You may need to stay a little lower. Just play with it until you figure it out. You don’t want dead spots but don’t want to blast anything either.

OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if I’m going to have any problems, it’s with this might jet. I keep it pointed at the surface on the lowest setting and I really don’t even need a wave maker I don’t think. That Nero 3 just helps out. I use it for indirect. If I turn my return off and put the Nero on 35% it’s not doing much of anything but just helps get the lower area of the tank with a little flow. My fish (clowns) do not have a hard time with my flow at all. I do recognize that you have a cube though so your flow is going to bounce all over the place. I am using the long wall and making a circular pattern. You may need to stay a little lower. Just play with it until you figure it out. You don’t want dead spots but don’t want to blast anything either.
I’m thinking I will move my Nero down and point it into the bulk of my rock and behind it, which will diffuse it a bit and stop it from directly blasting corals. The Fusion 15 is a barebones model so they only send a pump that pushes just over 100gph at max, so definitely needed a little help on my end.

thanks for the responses

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Nero 3 for my 15g cube - overkill, I know.

The specs online say it maxes at 2000g/Hr.
I want to test a night flow pattern so I dialled it down to 8% at night.

2000 x 0.08 = 160gph

However, the pump shows much more.

Is my math off, or could I using the app incorrectly?

Luckily no fish yet to sleep in the washing machine.

View attachment 3129490
View attachment 3129491
To answer your question, your math is correct. But the equation to calculate flow isn't linear. There's a lot more that goes into it, and I'm not sure what calculation they're using but I'm sure it has to do with blade pitch and revolutions per time.

I doubt that whatever is on display in mobius app is completely accurate but it's pretty close.

AS

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a Nero 3 to replace the two jebao pumps I have in my tank (20g IM) now. The two kebabs push 4K+ at 100% and I run random flow so 1-100% at any giving moment. Have zero issue with fish. Trust fish can and will take a beating from flow just look where they come from.

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I will move my Nero down and point it into the bulk of my rock and behind it, which will diffuse it a bit and stop it from directly blasting corals. The Fusion 15 is a barebones model so they only send a pump that pushes just over 100gph at max, so definitely needed a little help on my end.

thanks for the responses
Honestly wish I had that pump sometimes. It’s very powerful for this little tank lol.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back