All other salts are double the price of Instant Ocean. Is it really worth it?

BRS

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals. I don't like the high alk of 13 in it. I have a bucket left of it... And was considering another brand.View attachment 2550292
You and I both...Alk constant up at 12.5 -13. I do like the high Mag but, switching off gradually when I get to last half of this box left. IO has slightly less on the Alk and still fairly good on the Mag. Probably going there.

BRS

moz71

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was It Randy on BRS who said he'd never use IO again? I maybe wrong.
I've not used it but did see a BRS recently where this comment was made? He did not elaborate as to why.
I am limited to Aquaforest, Redsea, Quantum and TM (struggle to find it)
Why does everybody take Randy’s word as gospel!! Just another opinion. He even says that

BrianAnthony

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I both...Alk constant up at 12.5 -13. I do like the high Mag but, switching off gradually when I get to last half of this box left. IO has slightly less on the Alk and still fairly good on the Mag. Probably going there.

Idk.. I was a little nervous concerning the regular IO. No one tells us exactly what's in it. I was hoping reef crystals had more trace elements than reg IO. I might... Might go with tropic Marin reef because of the levels.

Avast

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk.. I was a little nervous concerning the regular IO. No one tells us exactly what's in it. I was hoping reef crystals had more trace elements than reg IO. I might... Might go with tropic Marin reef because of the levels.
I was on Tropic Marin for about 15 years. Loved it, then my main retailer switched off to RC. Been on it awhile now, but the Alk I just wonder how it's truly affecting things. Mine is pretty much softies a few LPS and 2 SPS. The Alk just isn't being utilized fast enough, my sand bed gets a bit crunchy at times because of it. Ya, the trace elements....if I have to dose a minor amount thats ok, but I would really rather avoid it altogether. Basically why I have stuck with RC....rock and a hard place making decisions here lol. If anyone has an idea of one close to RC but lower Alk I am all ears!

melonheadorion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same pattern as Coca-Cola. End of year they clear out all the old inventory, and when they’re done, the new inventory comes to market at a higher price.
i normally get my buckets of reef crystals from chewy. usually about 40 bucks a bucket, which is practically half price at most retailers

Ultra Aquatics

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix my TMP it’s clear in an hour. RC takes a day. My buckets are clean after years of mixing. Not the case with RC. I have high end sps. Why would I want that nasty brown caking agent with expensive coral. Yes I am sure lots of sps keepers use all different kinds of salt. But I don’t. Just one reefers opinion.
Except TMP is now having that exact issue with its new turkey salt. I used TMP for years in my systems including my 400g SPS system. Prices and availability have gotten out of hand so I ended up switching to Red Sea blue bucket. Now I’m thinking of switching to IO.

World Wide Corals

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i normally get my buckets of reef crystals from chewy. usually about 40 bucks a bucket, which is practically half price at most retailers
It’s $90.99 at Chewy right now. Plus tax. I paid $36 a few weeks ago for 200-gallon box, $86.41 right now.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered 3 myself.
Likewise, lol. My other half was wondering why are you buying salt online... The weird pricing has been going on since last summer... I ain't looking a gifted horse in the mouth! Every 50 gal bag was under 10 bucks a bag and the bucket was 39.99.
Screenshot_20220214-213703.png

Nutramar Foods

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing the salts in the 160g bucket, to try to bring down the alk also. Currently trying 1 part RC and 1 part IO. I'm mainly softies and zoa's, so not a lot of Alk consumption.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using red sea blue bucket for awhile now because it mixes clear for me in less than 20 minutes.Used to get it for $60-$65 for the buckets now im seeing them priced a bit higher. Might switch back to hwmarinemix as that was always a quick and clear mixer for me as well, just had to check the batch for alk every time. Live aquaria salt was ok as well, but they also increased prices and i just dont trust them anymore (bad livestock experiences)

Top Shelf Aquatics

jft

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years used Hawaiian Marine a good salt like 20 years. Then it got harder to find, and NOT A FAN OF BULKREEF> Switched to Reef crystals and have the same great results at half the price and READILY available . Thats the salt I will continue to rely on.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use IO, I don't do routine water changes, I don't support Amazon when it comes to our hobby, and I certainly don't care to "convince" anyone to switch salts. Use what you want. Why do you care what salt others use?

Do we really think this hobby is going to get cheaper as time goes on???? LOL been listening to that line for almost 2 decades now. LEDs were going to be so cheap to produce and run! Now we have $1200 fixtures to cover a 24*24 area all while still using 250w. Aquaculture will bring prices down on everything...LOL corals aren't getting cheaper.

If you like IO, awesome! Use it and be happy we have choices. Use it because you like it, not because some celebrity uses it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back