All my fish died to Ich

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im restarting my tank due to an ich outbreak but I have everything like equipment, rock, saltwater, a cycled aquarium, and sand. What advice do you all have for me?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up the tank to 81 degrees and wait 45 days before adding any fish so ich can die out.

Buy quarantined fish or QT your own.

You can also fallow all inverts in their own tank for 45 days at 81. They can bring in disease but less common. If you buy from certain aquaculture places, less common then whatever wild stuff the LFS or CHOP SHOP brings in.

ANYTHING wet can bring in disease... ask yourself if it's worth it to buy it if your not going to QT them... is one more fish worth losing everything if the current tank is doing well? Probably not.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This has happened to me twice…heartbreaking ..
You got solid advice already …

I never QT’d before that, never saw ich either …until I did ..

QT isn’t universal for every species but it sure helps…
best of luck … fo sho

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also:

Captive bred fish directly from the breeding facility is MUCH safer then anything at a LFS or wild fish.

I am talking ordering DIRECT from Biota or ORA to your door.

Wild caught fish DIRECT from the diver are safer than anything that has been through the wholesaler as they have not been mixed with 100's of other fish from all over in poor conditions, basically Caribbean fish from KPA Aquatics will be safer and healthier.

Neither is a guarentee but it's less risk.

You need to decide how much risk you want to take, you already know the consequences. Some people QT everything wet, some only fish, some QT fish but not captives, some don't QT at all and roll the dice.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up the tank to 81 degrees and wait 45 days before adding any fish so ich can die out.

Buy quarantined fish or QT your own.

You can also fallow all inverts in their own tank for 45 days at 81. They can bring in disease but less common. If you buy from certain aquaculture places, less common then whatever wild stuff the LFS or CHOP SHOP brings in.

ANYTHING wet can bring in disease... ask yourself if it's worth it to buy it if your not going to QT them... is one more fish worth losing everything if the current tank is doing well? Probably not.
I have gone through all the procedures to kill off the ich and I have my own QT now set up

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me twice…heartbreaking ..
You got solid advice already …

I never QT’d before that, never saw ich either …until I did ..

QT isn’t universal for every species but it sure helps…
best of luck … fo sho
Thank you! I just set up my QT after the incident (a couple months ago)

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also:

Captive bred fish directly from the breeding facility is MUCH safer then anything at a LFS or wild fish.

I am talking ordering DIRECT from Biota or ORA to your door.

Wild caught fish DIRECT from the diver are safer than anything that has been through the wholesaler as they have not been mixed with 100's of other fish from all over in poor conditions, basically Caribbean fish from KPA Aquatics will be safer and healthier.

Neither is a guarentee but it's less risk.

You need to decide how much risk you want to take, you already know the consequences. Some people QT everything wet, some only fish, some QT fish but not captives, some don't QT at all and roll the dice.
I like this advice!

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I setup my QT using those cheap HOB UVs from Amazon .. they are “good enough” for the minimum service hours for QT purposes…
Anyway:
I would not run my main tank with one or count on finding new replacement bulbs or seals et et ….
But I find for the money; they are worth it

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back