Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have an all for reef question. I have a waterbox 60.2 marine x and am dosing all for reef. I tested today and my alk was 6.1 and calcium was 440. I am currently dosing 12.5ml of all for reef daily. My tank and sump volume in my estimation is about 48 gallons. Should I be adding more all for reef, I dont want my calcium to get to high.

Top Shelf Aquatics

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
You may dose more AFR.
Yet, it is good to have also on hand any product just for alk dosing in order to do some adjustments… particularly in the beginning.
Calcium can go higher without much problems.

As a last resource, you can do some water change to balance things a bit (depending on the salt… check the alk of your salt to see how much to do it)

Cheers!

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
You may dose more AFR.
Yet, it is good to have also on hand any product just for alk dosing in order to do some adjustments… particularly in the beginning.
Calcium can go higher without much problems.

As a last resource, you can do some water change to balance things a bit (depending on the salt… check the alk of your salt to see how much to do it)

Cheers!
I do have Red Sea Foundation KH / Alkalinity so I can add to get me to the proper levels. I'm guessing once I do that I just need to test to find out how much alk is being used per day and adjust the amount of All for Reef. Will the calcium ever come into balance with the alk?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Indeed… still depends from tank to tank.
Generally, it should balance over time.

On my case, I did the same: I used Red Sea KH to adjust during the first weeks and now just AFR (and Kalkwasser).

Cheers!

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Indeed… still depends from tank to tank.
Generally, it should balance over time.

On my case, I did the same: I used Red Sea KH to adjust during the first weeks and now just AFR (and Kalkwasser).

Cheers!
Hi, may I ask, why both kalk and all for reef? Other than the ph boost, which isn’t kalks main solution goal, do they not perform the same function? With AFR having some trace elements and mag as far as I understand?
I’m trying to dial in my plan for supplementing a small system and what I may or may not really need and why.

UtahReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From time to time things may get out of balance. I use All For Reef and also have Tropic Marin Parts A & B mixed up. If I have an imbalance I can add calk or all to put things back in line. Read Tropics Marin's guide on their site for All For Reef, they suggest this.

Corals.com

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, may I ask, why both kalk and all for reef? Other than the ph boost, which isn’t kalks main solution goal, do they not perform the same function? With AFR having some trace elements and mag as far as I understand?
I’m trying to dial in my plan for supplementing a small system and what I may or may not really need and why.
Sure!
my main source for dosing is Kalkwasser.
Yet, now I reached the limit of what I can use per day (via evaporation) . As such, for the remaining part I use AllForReef as supplement.

And indeed you are right… they have rather similar goals in terms of alk and calcium, with the nuance of the other elements in AFR.

For a small system, both options are fine… pick the one that is easier for you.

Let me know if it is all clear and if you have any remarks!
Cheers!

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have an all for reef question. I have a waterbox 60.2 marine x and am dosing all for reef. I tested today and my alk was 6.1 and calcium was 440. I am currently dosing 12.5ml of all for reef daily. My tank and sump volume in my estimation is about 48 gallons. Should I be adding more all for reef, I dont want my calcium to get to high.

You can manually adjust to bring the numbers more inline with your goal. It isn't uncommon.

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure!
my main source for dosing is Kalkwasser.
Yet, now I reached the limit of what I can use per day (via evaporation) . As such, for the remaining part I use AllForReef as supplement.

And indeed you are right… they have rather similar goals in terms of alk and calcium, with the nuance of the other elements in AFR.

For a small system, both options are fine… pick the one that is easier for you.

Let me know if it is all clear and if you have any remarks!
Cheers!
Why thank you! Follow up question then would be, why not stop the kalk if it can’t keep up? Cheaper than dosing all all for reef? Easier to just let it be? The PH boost?
and thank you again, your thoughts are appreciated.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Makes sense indeed… but most of it, you nailed already.
It is cheaper and the extra benefit of the ph.

Yet, I always have the feeling that my tanks do (or did) better when dosing Kalkwasser.

Again, purely impression over the years.
As info, I use here a kalk reactor to dose it… makes things easier as well.

In my case, there is a small benefit of dosing both… if something goes wrong with one (like dosing pump die or a tube clogged) I still have the other one… it is a sort of backup, which can give me some extra time in case of issues. Consumptions here is rather high.

IMG_1867.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back