+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Tried that too. :)

I sent a message to Focustronic to see if some sort of manual calibration/modification of the signal can be programmed--sort of like the functionality that currently exists if there is a badly mixed batch of reagent.

Maybe part of the next firmware update.

YEAH!! That's a great idea! Hope they consider adding that!:)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my unit set up last night. Got a few issues need to work out still.

It's reading about .7 higher than my Hanna. I double checked all the tubes this morning . Will check pump accuracy again today. Also going to pick up some new reagent for my Hanna since I'm just about out anyway.

Still gotta get Wifi working. Seems a little wonky to setup from my attempts so far.

marlinmon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my unit set up last night. Got a few issues need to work out still.

It's reading about .7 higher than my Hanna. I double checked all the tubes this morning . Will check pump accuracy again today. Also going to pick up some new reagent for my Hanna since I'm just about out anyway.

Still gotta get Wifi working. Seems a little wonky to setup from my attempts so far.
Check your Hanna checker with the Hanna alkalinity standard. I thought I was having the same issue with my Alkatronic. Turns out my Hanna checker just reads a little lower alk all the time.

marlinmon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Tried that too. :)

I sent a message to Focustronic to see if some sort of manual calibration/modification of the signal can be programmed--sort of like the functionality that currently exists if there is a badly mixed batch of reagent.

Maybe part of the next firmware update.
Unless they change the hardware to transmit a digital signal the noise is always going to exist

AquaCave Logo Banner

MentalNote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,

If the tests fall outside of the high and low parameters you established (ie. Alk to be between 8.8 and 9.2), then the machine will start testing every 2 hours. Once the issue is corrected (more 2 part added or alk consumed by tank), the machine will go back to the 4 hour testing interval.

I thought there was something wrong with my machine too until I e-mailed Alkatronic.

-Pete

marlinmon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,

If the tests fall outside of the high and low parameters you established (ie. Alk to be between 8.8 and 9.2), then the machine will start testing every 2 hours. Once the issue is corrected (more 2 part added or alk consumed by tank), the machine will go back to the 4 hour testing interval.

I thought there was something wrong with my machine too until I e-mailed Alkatronic.

-Pete
Only time mine too goes out of scheduled interval is when this happens. No issues otherwise :)

Ultra Aquatics

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,

-Pete

Thank you, That fixed it :)

TMB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this comparable to the neptune apex?

Yes, Alkatronic puts out a signal that Apex can read through the PH/ORP port.
upload_2019-1-13_17-52-16.png

This os from my Apex dashboard.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

TMB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that before. I’m not exactly sure where it is but you should be able to bypass that screen and proceed to the website. If not try a different computer or different browser.

I just logged in and the top web address bar said “not secure” at the end of the web address, but allowed me to go anyway.

World Wide Corals

jimbob928

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just bought an Alkatronic. Only been up & running for 24 hours or so. My initial readings were way off - I have 2 Hannah checkers and a Salifert test kit. The 3 readings matched within reason. So I calibrated the Alkatronic baseline to match. Maybe I did not mix the reagent properly. I just ordered new lab glassware from Amazon which should improve my accuracy next time I make up a batch of reagent. The manual recommends you by one of these...www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VQZ9LG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried using the focustronic website to ask a support question. My mail system sent me a message that the email was undeliverable. I will post questions here later after I've played with it a bit. I like it so far!

slojmn

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally set up my Alkatronic yesterday. A few observations. Jonas is amazing, messaged me through Facebook within minutes of a message, walked me through the bluetooth connection (which I never got to work). I spent a few hours trying with my android phone, and Jonas was right there along the way, but no luck. I read in the thread about how much better iOS works and picked up the wifey's iPad and, voila, was on in 5 seconds. I'll tackle Bluetooth later. I screwed up my entire bottle of mixed reagent by trying to save the little bit I had calibrated pump C with. I picked up the wrong measuring cup and poured water in the solution. No idea how much, UGGG, so ticked. So I mixed up what I had left and started the 2-5 first run tests. My alk is extremely low on my cycling tank, lol, did not know that. The tests went from 6.75>6.72>6.66>6.61, then tested every 2 hours for the following readings 6.72>6.66>6.72>6.75>6.80 This seems like its stable and in the range. I found that my Hannah meter read 6.0 when the Alkatronic read those first 4 test readings. Way off. Any thoughts on this??

I would like to set this up with my Apex DOS, if anyone has experience with that and can tell me how it is working out for you, I would like to hear.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jimbob928

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another Alkatronic comment. Using IOS bluetooth setup was a non-issue. Worked first time. I am using a calcium reactor and used bluetooth plug to turn off CO2. Big mistake. That screwed up neptune controlling it with pH probe. Now using plug to turn off feed pump to reactor. Should be better now. Still taking readings every 2 hours, hope once I get Ca reactor dialed in better, I can drop to 4 hours so I don't go thru the reagent so quickly. I was lazy and only tested Alk every few days or once a week, Hoping a steady Alk level will improve coral growth.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally set up my Alkatronic yesterday. A few observations. Jonas is amazing, messaged me through Facebook within minutes of a message, walked me through the bluetooth connection (which I never got to work). I spent a few hours trying with my android phone, and Jonas was right there along the way, but no luck. I read in the thread about how much better iOS works and picked up the wifey's iPad and, voila, was on in 5 seconds. I'll tackle Bluetooth later. I screwed up my entire bottle of mixed reagent by trying to save the little bit I had calibrated pump C with. I picked up the wrong measuring cup and poured water in the solution. No idea how much, UGGG, so ******. So I mixed up what I had left and started the 2-5 first run tests. My alk is extremely low on my cycling tank, lol, did not know that. The tests went from 6.75>6.72>6.66>6.61, then tested every 2 hours for the following readings 6.72>6.66>6.72>6.75>6.80 This seems like its stable and in the range. I found that my Hannah meter read 6.0 when the Alkatronic read those first 4 test readings. Way off. Any thoughts on this??

I would like to set this up with my Apex DOS, if anyone has experience with that and can tell me how it is working out for you, I would like to hear.

Hi @slojmn. No need to hook up the Alkatronic to a DOS. It comes with a built in pump to add alk solution. Also, why are you testing your alk while cycling? That seems to me to be a waste.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back