Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started dosing the difference between additives was only a few ml.
Now the difference is much more

Dosing Randy's Recipe 1 with Reef Anabolics (Aussie brand trace)
my current dosing is:
Alk = 18ml per day maintains Alk at 8
Calc = 8ml per day maintains Calc at 420

PH is 8.2
Mg 1245 last test

My tank is softies/LPS with 2 plating montipora that so far have not shown any growth.

Should these doses be closer to the same?

CLICK TO VIEW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of things that mess with the relative demand ratio. Generally these are things that add or remove alkalinity and not calcium, but water changes that do not match the tank is another.

Rising, falling or dosing nitrate (or ammonium chloride) impacts alk, and sulfur denitrators deplete alk.

I don’t see any way magnesium makes a substantial difference.m to the demand ratio.

Thus has more:

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea premix product: I was dosing 65ml of Alk, to 28ml of Calcium and 0 mag for:

11Alk
450 Ca
1400 mg

10% weekly AWC (24/7 cycle)

Testing is done 4x daily.

My tank was doing well (it sprang a leak last week and I’m trying to pull parameters back to normal).

Point is: I’m not sure the “ratio” is super important. I have giant beautiful Acropora’s and I have to beat the coralline algae off the glass with a stick.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea premix product: I was dosing 65ml of Alk, to 28ml of Calcium and 0 mag for:

11Alk
450 Ca
1400 mg

10% weekly AWC (24/7 cycle)

Testing is done 4x daily.

My tank was doing well (it sprang a leak last week and I’m trying to pull parameters back to normal).

Point is: I’m not sure the “ratio” is super important. I have giant beautiful Acropora’s and I have to beat the coralline algae off the glass with a stick.
The ratio is not super important.

If you accept all of the numbers as written, water changes will slightly underdose alk relative to calcium, so that may be part of the issue.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio is not super important.

If you accept all of the numbers as written, water changes will slightly underdose alk relative to calcium, so that may be part of the issue.
Absolutely have to believe my salt mix- which I believe has a starting alk of 8, plays a part in all this. I’m sure my dosing would be drastically different if I was trying to “maintain” but in fact I’m actually needing to “boost” certain parameters to my desired level.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of things that mess with the relative demand ratio. Generally these are things that add or remove alkalinity and not calcium, but water changes that do not match the tank is another.

Rising, falling or dosing nitrate (or ammonium chloride) impacts alk, and sulfur denitrators deplete alk.

I don’t see any way magnesium makes a substantial difference.m to the demand ratio.

Thus has more:

When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Thanks Randy I did read a number of your papers on this trying to figure it out.
Do I assume there is no real harm as long as the Alk/Calc is in balance?
I have also added Mg to raise it back to 1350 over the next few days.

I didnt have any issues until swapping to NSW. I didn't measure the content before the change. But my local waters are not conducive to corals so dosing is a must

Avast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy I did read a number of your papers on this trying to figure it out.
Do I assume there is no real harm as long as the Alk/Calc is in balance?
I have also added Mg to raise it back to 1350 over the next few days.

I didnt have any issues until swapping to NSW. I didn't measure the content before the change. But my local waters are not conducive to corals so dosing is a must

As long as you keep track of both alk and calcium, dosing unbalanced is fine.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back