+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia should be 0, it is toxic to fish even in small amounts

Do you have any dry or live rock in there or just fake rock/decorations?

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just decorations

This is a potential problem. Bacteria need places to colonize and actual reef rock is a perfect medium to do so. It is very porous. The fake rock is not. The bacteria converts waste/ammonia.

I would not pull it all out at once because the fake decor still harbors some bacteria but yes I would replace it a section at a time.

OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a potential problem. Bacteria need places to colonize and actual reef rock is a perfect medium to do so. It is very porous. The fake rock is not. The bacteria converts waste/ammonia.

I would not pull it all out at once but yes I would replace it a section at a time.
it's one huge piece and why not remove it all at once?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's one huge piece and why not remove it all at once?

Ah in that case I guess you have to. All surface area has some bacteria on it so was just trying to keep as much bacteria as possible. You could buy some good seeded rock and keep it in water till you get home, if you don't have access to that or it is out of the budget and you need to use dry rock, I recommend adding some biospira with it (bottled bacteria).

It isn't ideal to make big changes with live fish in the tank but at the same time, it is going to be better in the long run.

Did the fish ever show signs of disease like odd spots or scratching themselves?

OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah in that case I guess you have to. All surface area has some bacteria on it so was just trying to keep as much bacteria as possible. You could buy some good seeded rock and keep it in water till you get home, if you don't have access to that or it is out of the budget and you need to use dry rock, I recommend adding some biospira with it (bottled bacteria).

It isn't ideal to make big changes with live fish in the tank but at the same time, it is going to be better in the long run.

Did the fish ever show signs of disease like odd spots or scratching themselves?
no never any signs

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you're saying add live rock and then a small bottle of bacteria the same as when you first start the tank?

There is live rock and dry (which is often still called "live rock" even though it is dry). Live will be wet and in a tub at the LFS and dry will.. be dry and on a shelf. The dry stuff needs a bottle of bacteria since it is dry.

Don't buy any live rock that smells nasty or has die off.. the live stuff should just have a normal ocean smell.

How are the snails behaving? Moving around or holding still, falling off of anything?

aquakj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank running and what was your cycling process ? I don’t think we can move forward until you provide this information everything else can’t be taken into consideration until you let us know this part of the process please

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the tank at all?
Sounds like it was set up, filled with plastic decorations and fish.

OP, you have come to the right place here in Reef2Reef. Don't best yourself up yet.

This is what I would do in your situation.
Remove anything plastic from the tank and throw it away or place it on a shelf next to the tank. That where they belong anyway.
Next, go to your LFS, bring a small bucket and ask them for a live rock. One from there sump, about the size of a baseball, maybe a little bigger. They do sell them this way, or a least a good LFS does. Put it in the bucket and bring it home. Put that in your tank.
Take a picture and post it here. Then we can help you out some more.

AS
OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP, you have come to the right place here in Reef2Reef. Don't best yourself up yet.

Remove anything plastic from the tank and throw it away or place it on a shelf next to the tank. That where they belong anyway.
Next, go to your LFS, bring a small bucket and ask them for a live rock. One from there sump, about the size of a baseball, maybe a little bigger. They do sell them this way, or a least a good LFS does. Put it in the bucket and bring it home. Put that in your tank.
Yes, I cycled the tank

thank you for your help, but what will that do if I take a picture with live rock in the tank?

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I cycled the tank

thank you for your help, but what will that do if I take a picture with live rock in the tank?
Sorry, I said that because you claimed you have "fake" rock. I'm saying take that out.
After "real" live rock goes in, I would want to "see" how much real live rock is there in your tank.
1) you need enough for processing ammonia.
2) hiding places for your fish.

Edit: fake rock being plastic??

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I said that because you claimed you have "fake" rock. I'm saying take that out.
After "real" live rock goes in, I would want to "see" how much real live rock is there in your tank.
1) you need enough for processing ammonia.
2) hiding places for your fish.

Edit: fake rock being plastic??
got it, I want to keep around 5 fish, how many hiding places would you recommend?

OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, ya I hope that live rock fixes the issue...this is my set up, and I want to say thank you to everyone who tried to help on this chat you are all very good people, and I appreciate it!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back