Algae ID

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this green algae on my sand that is like little tufts. Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it?

Sal: 1.026
Nitrates: 0
PO4: .003
Alk: 7.2
Cal - 437
Mag - 1320

All tests done with Hanna. I currently run the Saxby settings on my lights. I have also been struggling to get my nitrates and PO4 above 0, but I assume the algae causes some of the low readings. When they are at 0, I feed reef roids. I usually do a 10g water change weekly and the total water volume is around 65-70g. But I am thinking of going two weeks right now. I also dose AFR daily. The tank has been up and running since Thanksgiving.

I do struggle to keep snails alive. Astrea and ceriths seem to mostly survive. I added 2 fighting conchs and 2 African nassarius a few weeks ago and I only have one of each left. All other snails I have had died. I did have a big parameter swing at the end of august when I was on vacation and my doser stopped working I think took out a bunch of snails. The salinity swing a bit from 1.026-1.028 at one point early in the month. I do have 3 crabs, several hermits, and a pincushion. Fish are two clowns, white tail tang, and a Fathead Anthias. Will be adding 3 more fish in about a month and a half after QT.

Full Tank.jpg Zoom Tank.jpg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the tank set up?
Not sure why your snails are dying but they probably don't like the salanity changes.
IMO, it should go away on its own but it does help to keep the sand stirred up.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the tank set up?
Not sure why your snails are dying but they probably don't like the salanity changes.
IMO, it should go away on its own but it does help to keep the sand stirred up.
The tank was set up in November but was an upgrade from a 32g Biocube that was running for 2 years. I've been pulling most of it out by hand during water changes, but it just comes back. I also have that dragon soul torch doing amazing with a lot of growth, but the rasta next to it is about gone. Not sure why.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back