Algae Help?

kileki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! Wanted to hear your thoughts on algae.

I was out of the country for about a month, and my tank was crystal clear and very little to no algae (it was manageable with cleaning the glass every other day and cleaning the sandbed with bi-weekly water changes). but since I have been back, it has become a nuisance. I had someone take care of the tank while I was gone, nothing was added or removed from the tank, and it doesn't appear that anything passed away in the tank. Although, they did not do a water change for the time I was gone, I expected a dirty tank when I got back, but it really wasn't that bad, some hair algae on the rocks, and the sand was dirty, but a big water change and it looked basically back to normal, but ever since then I have had this sudden spike of algae growth, with seeing a lot of pink algae now.

I will be testing the waters tonight after I get home from work, so I apologize I do not have my current parameters to provide, but thought I'd post this out here to get some of your thoughts!

Note; light cycle, feeding, and inhabitants in the tank have all remained the same, no addition or subtraction in any of these.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Wanted to hear your thoughts on algae.

I was out of the country for about a month, and my tank was crystal clear and very little to no algae (it was manageable with cleaning the glass every other day and cleaning the sandbed with bi-weekly water changes). but since I have been back, it has become a nuisance. I had someone take care of the tank while I was gone, nothing was added or removed from the tank, and it doesn't appear that anything passed away in the tank. Although, they did not do a water change for the time I was gone, I expected a dirty tank when I got back, but it really wasn't that bad, some hair algae on the rocks, and the sand was dirty, but a big water change and it looked basically back to normal, but ever since then I have had this sudden spike of algae growth, with seeing a lot of pink algae now.

I will be testing the waters tonight after I get home from work, so I apologize I do not have my current parameters to provide, but thought I'd post this out here to get some of your thoughts!

Note; light cycle, feeding, and inhabitants in the tank have all remained the same, no addition or subtraction in any of these.
A month is a considerable amount of time...it doesnt seem surprising to hear that after a month of no nutrient export you have an algae issue. I dont know anything about your bioload, but it doesnt sound strange to me. Feeding a tank daily that has a typical bioload would definitely have elevated nutrients after a month.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back