Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright eveyone. Need a little guidance. I've had my salt water up for over a year now. It's a 47 gallon AIO. I have had some algea build up in the chambers and wanted to get a clean up crew. I can't for the life of me figure out why snails keep dying in the back. From nassarius snails to turbo snails. They are great in the main display. I have some basic algea in the front but my urchin and snails take care of it. Any ideas?

OP
OP
C

cboyd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made any recent changes to your tank that would be causing them to die?
No changes. Water changes every two weeks since my stock is minimal. Two clown fish, one goby, 6 chromis, pin cushion urchin. 6 corals and one anemone. Just did parameters today and I'm having trouble getting my phosphates down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125_153327_Aquarium Note.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125_153327_Aquarium Note.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of keeping CUC in a tiny chamber before, not sure if it's a suitable place for them unless it's really big and roomy and have some flow to properly agitate the water.

Why not clean the chamber manually once in a while like others already suggested?
That's what everyone does as far as I know, and I do too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cboyd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of keeping CUC in a tiny chamber before, not sure if it's a suitable place for them unless it's really big and roomy and have some flow to properly agitate the water.

Why not clean the chamber manually once in a while like others already suggested?
That's what everyone does as far as I know, and I do too.
There's a good amount of hair algea that is hard to get to. Not opposed to manually cleaning at all. Just looking for advice.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a good amount of hair algea that is hard to get to. Not opposed to manually cleaning at all. Just looking for advice.
Consider it your fuge and just prune it regularly.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh believe me, I know.
I clean nearly a 6ft long chamber once a month, and it does grow hair algae and picks up detritus.
But that's part of the regular maintenance, much like cleaning the glass twice a week, or changing and testing the water weekly. I don't look at it as a chore, but as integral part of the hobby.

That's the most genuine advice I can give :winking-face:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cboyd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh believe me, I know.
I clean nearly a 6ft long chamber once a month, and it does grow hair algae and picks up detritus.
But that's part of the regular maintenance, much like cleaning the glass twice a week, or changing and testing the water weekly. I don't look at it as a chore, but as integral part of the hobby.

That's the most genuine advice I can give :winking-face:
Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the algae is long, many snails are not particularly great at eating the bigger stuff.

nass snails don't eat algae, they are meat eaters.

It sounds like you have light spill into the back. Making a top for it to block the light and having good flow through there should mean minimal build up in the chambers and a fix to your problem.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DanyL , why was this funny?
I found the thought of looking at it as a fuge a bit amusing, because it is somewhat true and similar to my own thoughts when I leave my glass to grow for a bit longer, comparing it to a turf scrubber myself :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back