Aggressive Fish....

BRS

If you have an aggressive fish - what would you do:

• Get rid of it....

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Try to modify the behavior...

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Something else - suggest in comments (please)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown in my pic bites me every time my hand goes in the tank, which has been frequently recently as I've gotten a lot of new corals. Interestingly enough, it looks like it turned out to be the male even though it was the only clown for a year. The tiny one I got after it very quickly outgrew it, but they get along quite well. If I need to do a lot of work, I catch Whitey in a tupperware and cover it outside the tank to avoid the constant biting.

As for your fanged beast, I definitely wouldn't encourage the jumping for food. I highly doubt you could modify it's behavior, but definitely don't encourage it. Add the food quickly and broadcast it, or use forceps and get them into the water with food for it to take.

LOL yes - the jumping took me completely by surprise on day 3 when I owned him. he was always really friendly - even when not feeding he would either sit in his little area he's made for him self under a coral - and literally stare directly at me. Or if I was in the room - go to the glass and just look out without moving. (he also does this with the cat lol) - perhaps I should make sure the cat doesn't jump on the tank.

However - even when not feeding - just putting my hand/arm in the tank to move something - is interesting. its not like he is attacking it - its more like just 'testing it'.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL yes - the jumping took me completely by surprise on day 3 when I owned him. he was always really friendly - even when not feeding he would either sit in his little area he's made for him self under a coral - and literally stare directly at me. Or if I was in the room - go to the glass and just look out without moving. (he also does this with the cat lol) - perhaps I should make sure the cat doesn't jump on the tank.

However - even when not feeding - just putting my hand/arm in the tank to move something - is interesting. its not like he is attacking it - its more like just 'testing it'.
How’d you keep your cat out? My cat swims in the tank often in the summer, we were calling him Michael Phelps in our house last summer lol. Lids don’t phase him.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d you keep your cat out? My cat swims in the tank often in the summer, we were calling him Michael Phelps in our house last summer lol. Lids don’t phase him.
right thats the problem. im actually looking for an acrylic kind of 'surround' that will let the light in - but prevent (except an exceptional jumper) from getting out

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a new question - Im thinking about getting a clown trigger........... mistake or ?
Ask @HB AL he loves his, everyone told him they aren’t a good idea too, lol.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask @HB AL he loves his, everyone told him they aren’t a good idea too, lol.
YES. I think if the small fish have enough of a hiding space it might be ok lol:) but.........

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES. I think if the small fish have enough of a hiding space it might be ok lol:) but.........
Only one way to find out ;) lol

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww. my harlequin tusk is a perfect gentleman and will even let some of the other fish (kole tang in particular) bully him at times...
don't get me wrong - I love him.

Lissa1987

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, he does take the big chunks of food into a corner somewhere so he can spit it out and then eat it in small enough bites...(some of the smarter fish are picking up on this and following him around for the lost bits) He has also been know to act like a dog with a bone when i am feeding krill as he will beat it again the rocks and then hide it somewhere for later (I have seen him take off with it...don't know where he hides it...but another fish will find it a day later and the tank will be munching on a krill that i know hadn't been put in there since the previous day...

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, he does take the big chunks of food into a corner somewhere so he can spit it out and then eat it in small enough bites...(some of the smarter fish are picking up on this and following him around for the lost bits) He has also been know to act like a dog with a bone when i am feeding krill as he will beat it again the rocks and then hide it somewhere for later (I have seen him take off with it...don't know where he hides it...but another fish will find it a day later and the tank will be munching on a krill that i know hadn't been put in there since the previous day...
it is funny how they hide - themselves and other things - I have to say he (or she) is the most interesting fish I have ever had

Lissa1987

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is funny how they hide - themselves and other things - I have to say he (or she) is the most interesting fish I have ever had
Yeah...There may have been a few sleepless nights because he had hid himself so well i thought he had traveled into the overflow...wouldn't come out even for food...Then the next morning..there he was begging at the glass... he is definitely my good intentioned ******* fish...

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop sticks work well if one knows how to use them.
Simple and easy to use and most Chinese restaurants have them for free and no contamination of metals from tongs or other metallic objects.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...There may have been a few sleepless nights because he had hid himself so well i thought he had traveled into the overflow...wouldn't come out even for food...Then the next morning..there he was begging at the glass... he is definitely my good intentioned ******* fish...
mine is about 5 inches long - he 'hides' under about 3 inches of coral - but he just sits there with his eyes moving. as if you can't see him. Thats when I try the feeding - its an immediate reaction. When a stranger is in the room - he stays there a bit longer - I have to put a video up on YouTube

PhilT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Lids actually sells a cat proof lid. I think it’s your standard higher end screen top with acrylic framing, but it adds more acrylic to support a cats weight. Don’t know if would block more light because less screen?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a new question - Im thinking about getting a clown trigger........... mistake or ?
Mine gets along with all 12 other fish, doesn’t touch any corals and he likes to pose for photos with his friends. I’ve had triggers my whole life in fowlr tanks but it took me 2 years to add him to my reef tank. If you want one then get one. I wouldn’t get a very big one though.

4C585CAA-B796-48E2-A614-BC9E766718BF.jpeg
81501DF9-9E1E-4872-BD23-957566F5DEB4.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gets along with all 12 other fish, doesn’t touch any corals and he likes to pose for photos with his friends. I’ve had triggers my whole life in fowlr tanks but it took me 2 years to add him to my reef tank. If you want one then get one. I wouldn’t get a very big one though.

View attachment 1022462 View attachment 1022463
What’s that big fish with the red fins? Bottom picture, all the way on the right.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol really? my cat barely notices there's a tank in my living room. what do the fish do?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol really? my cat barely notices there's a tank in my living room. what do the fish do?
I’m not sure, my wife and I have only seen the aftermath of wet floors lol. No fish losses due to cat yet though. Just salty cat’s.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back