Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is an embarrassing tangle of wires, tubes, and salt creep lol.
But I can certainly give you some tips for setting up an sps tank
- Use real live rock, the hitchhikers you might have to deal with are a small price to pay for stability in 3 months instead of a year and a half of frustration with dry.
- Learn with the tried and true classics. They actually look like their pics and are much more forgiving. Most of them are equally easy, as well.
- It doesn't matter what your "Big 3" parameters are (within reason); it matters that they stay there.
- Light should be thought of as a parameter, and it should scale with your NO3/PO4. The lower they are, the less light you need. The fixture and type of light doesn't matter nearly as much as getting the scaling right.
- Try not to rely too heavily on, as they would say in "Dune", "machines that think." Tridents, apexes, auto water changes, programmable lights...all well and good until they have a blip and you don't notice, and it will happen lol. Far better to set things up so that they're easy to do, which will make you do them. Have a work table to do tests and do them often; set up a mixing tank for salt water so you just have to turn a valve or two to do a water change. That sort of thing.
- A big UV sterilizer plumbed into your return line will prevent most dinoflagellate outbreaks.
- You will never get Acropora flatworms if you cut every new frag off its plug, remove any bit of dead skeleton, and dip them once every 5 days for a month before nailing them down.

Well, that's my brain dump for now lol.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back