Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Affordable quality underwater Co2 monitor...... I know affordable is relevant, but thinking of a meter to test and graph real time underwater co2 in my reef.
For me between $200.00-$400.00 is what I would call affordable for this application on my reef.
Thanks for any ideas, something apex compatible would be a huge bonus.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is such a thing for that price.

What do you want to do with it?

pH and alk will allow CO2 calculation.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is such a thing for that price.

What do you want to do with it?

pH and alk will allow CO2 calculation.
Randy,

Thanks for chiming in, always appreciate your knowledge

I want to figure out my CO2 in the water as I still am struggling with a lower PH even though I have went to your elevated 2 part with Sodium Hydroxide.

I keep my house in the air range of 400-500 co2. My 200 gallon sump is in a 3 car garage that has the garage doors and windows open 24/7 , no car in garage, its a sump room.

I run a 6' tall Dual Beckette Precision Marine skimmer on a huge reeflo pump.

I have a heavily stocked reef of very large fish. I'm starting to believe my heavy breathers are my fish themselves.

I went down CO2 scrubbing path with zero help as my house has low CO2.

I'm now adding a huge air pump to aerate my sump ( I have a 48" x 24" ) area that is 1" think Seachem Pond Matrix and want to gas off this area.

I'm running out of ideas.

The only time I could hold a 24/7 8.35 PH is when a ran a commercial RK2 Skimmer with a 2" venturi air valve on a 1 hp pump pulling 200-300 sfch. See photo ....... Any help on my "believed" CO2 issue would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_1292(1).jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's one heck of a skimmer!

I'm not sure of the need to actually know the CO2 level in the water, as opposed to the pH and alk, but there's a program available called c02sys that a number of folks here use and that can calculate CO2 from alk and pH.

If you wanted to do that, I'm sure some of the users here would help advise you.

@arking_mark

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound like a broken record but if house co2 is low, drawing fresh air into the garage and still more co2 than wanted then wouldn’t algae be the remaining solution? Does have a very large sump that could accommodate a section with just chaeto and constantly pruned to export not only the co2 captured but nutrients from those large fish. My only remaining solution since kalk won’t solve due to very high house co2.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound like a broken record but if house co2 is low, drawing fresh air into the garage and still more co2 than wanted then wouldn’t algae be the remaining solution? Does have a very large sump that could accommodate a section with just chaeto and constantly pruned to export not only the co2 captured but nutrients from those large fish. My only remaining solution since kalk won’t solve due to very high house co2.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 in house is 400-500, thats the same as outdoor fresh air. SO CO2 in house is low, not high

AS
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I said. House co2 is low. Only option being algae as I see it.
your last line in you post........

Does have a very large sump that could accommodate a section with just chaeto and constantly pruned to export not only the co2 captured but nutrients from those large fish. My only remaining solution since kalk won’t solve due to very high house co2.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your last line in you post........

Does have a very large sump that could accommodate a section with just chaeto and constantly pruned to export not only the co2 captured but nutrients from those large fish. My only remaining solution since kalk won’t solve due to very high house co2.
I’m referencing myself. Why I say “My only remaining solution…”

I should have worded that better and wasn’t directed at your situation. Just what I’ve resolved for my own pH flaws.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts here.
  • Ph, Alk, and CO2 have a mathematical model. Given any 2 parameters, you can calculate the 3rd.
  • Natural coral reefs can have as much as 0.1 pH swings.
  • pH measurement kits and meters are typically worse than +/- 0.1
  • If your tank is in equilibrium with your air your pH is determined by the air CO2 levels.
  • To understand your pH, you need to understand your CO2 sources and sinks. The main sources of CO2 are indoor CO2 levels and livestock. The main sinks of CO2 are photosynthetic organisms. Dosing/Supplements can also be sources and sinks for CO2.
  • It is possible to lock in pH. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lessons-learned-in-trying-to-maintain-ph-stability.871213/
Assuming your tank has outdoor air CO2 levels (400ppm) and 8dKH, your equilibrium pH would be 8.27 NBS. Without a CO2 scrubber, photosynthetic organisms, or supplements that would increase pH AND could outcompete your water aeration, achieving 8.35 NBS wouldn't be possible. If your alk was at 10dKH then the equilibrium pH would be 8.35 NBS.

Similarly if your tank aeration can't outcompete your livestock CO2 production and/or supplements that increase CO2, you wouldn't be able to reach equilibrium.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Ph, Alk, and CO2 have a mathematical model. Given any 2 parameters, you can calculate the 3rd.
  • If your tank is in equilibrium with your air your pH is determined by the air CO2 levels.
  • To understand your pH, you need to understand your CO2 sources and sinks. The main sources of CO2 are indoor CO2 levels and livestock. The main sinks of CO2 are photosynthetic organisms. Dosing/Supplements can also be sources and sinks for CO2.
  • It is possible to lock in pH. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lessons-learned-in-trying-to-maintain-ph-stability.871213/
Assuming your tank has outdoor air CO2 levels (400ppm) and 8dKH, your equilibrium pH would be 8.27 NBS. Without a CO2 scrubber, photosynthetic organisms, or supplements that would increase pH AND could outcompete your water aeration, achieving 8.35 NBS wouldn't be possible. If your alk was at 10dKH then the equilibrium pH would be 8.35 NBS.

Similarly if your tank aeration can't outcompete your livestock CO2 production and/or supplements that increase CO2, you wouldn't be able to reach equilibrium.
Higher the alk. Higher that pH. Plus wouldn’t one want higher alk if running higher pH since consumption of the three main elements would be increased? That’s my understanding. Sort of like when running higher par with increased photosynthesis but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is straight forward great advice. Ever since I took off the 20 times over sized skimmer, my PH has been a challenge.

Maybe time to rethink my skimmer and go back to a ton of air injection through Venturi, instead of dual beckett.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon Capture is a trendy term that the world is using right now to vent CO2 beneath the earth. I'm not sure that's a good idea either for the environment, at the same time there has to be a way. I know companies are trying massive Macro Alage factories to produce electricity and remove CO2 from the ocean (as well as excess nutrients). I'm curious what the O2 production rate vs. Nutrient uptake.

Say a 10" by 10" square piece of canvas has the ability to consume X amount of CO2, Y amount of Phosphate, and Z amount of Nitrates.

I don't know if there's a calculator for that, but it's possible our tanks may have too low of nutrients to scrub the amount of CO2 that needs to be removed.

I'd be interested in knowing if there's a way to separate CO2 from Ocean water in a reef safe chemical reaction, or a media that only absorbs CO2 similar to GFO absorbs phosphates. I have the same issue. I should check my house CO2. But, I have low PH as low as 7.7 at night and as high as 8 during the day.

Following along for a CO2 removal solution.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back