Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been “in” this hobby in 3 states and 5 cities. There are two different types of people…those who are normal, show up, chat, and buy some coral and those who are looking to horde tanks and equipment. They’re buying a cracked 400g acrylic tank on Tuesday and then selling it for a protein skimmer with no pump on Friday.

I hate selling coral because 50% of the people show up with no dang money and want to trade me something (a Bowie knife, a Jack Daniel’s barrel (empty) and a broken dyson for instance).
That is one of the most accurate and comical explanations of this hobby I’ve ever heard, well done, wellllllll done.

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater and just looking for general advice that you wish you had known when you started off thank you in advance
Saltwater tanks require a lot of attention. They can be more demanding than most human relationships, but in the end, they will never promise to love you forever and later hire a lawyer to take half of everything you own. When it comes to value, a reef tank is your best bet for a lifelong companion, ime.

Valentines Day Valentine GIF by Peanuts

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saltwater tanks require a lot of attention. They can be more demanding than most human relationships, but in the end, they will never promise to love you forever and later hire a lawyer to take half of everything you own. When it comes to value, a reef tank is your best bet for a lifelong companion, ime.

"Fine! Whatever!! Go ahead and leave if you want, but I'm telling you right now, and I'm saying it clearly: I'm getting custody of the fish!"

Corals.com
OP
OP
vorphex1010

vorphex1010

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

haha lol

OP
OP
vorphex1010

vorphex1010

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Buy qt'ed fish!!!!
2. If you plan on having a large tank its not gonna be cheap.
3. Go small first then graduate up.
4. Don't buy cheap test equipment.
5. Buy a used tank first but don't buy the used equipment. Tank and stand only.
6. Go slow and dont even think about corals for a few months.
7. Leave your lights off for months or only when your looking at the tank.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice to give is to go slow and have patience. If something goes wrong, don't panic, figure out what might have happened for something to go wrong and work around it. The most important tip is to have fun with the hobby. Maintaining a reef is a challenging yet rewarding experience!

reddogf5

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some trusted sources of info I've been using brstv
The best sources are academic papers and scientific experiments you do yourself (assuming you have the ability and inclination). I would also count the experts here on R2R as excellent sources. I like BRS, Ryan is no marine biologist or scientist, but I believe he wants to advance the hobby and uses the resources he has to that end. Sometimes they lack rigor in their experiments, like the time they compared test kits but didn't use standard R&R procedures, but it is a great source.
The YouTube channels you listed are mostly hobbyists and a few businesses. In truth, they are no more trustworthy, learned, or expert than any other enthusiast here. They probably got their info here in the first place :)
And that is the point of my 90% of the info is wrong, because most of it is repetition of what people have read or heard others say, not something they have proved out themselves.

Gretchacha

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another one I was told and helped was keep test logs and notes. so if you ever have a recurring issue months or years down the line you can reference readings like PAR, salinity, Mg etc.
I write everything I do every day, plus info about my equipment and set up and livestock +/- at the front or back for easy reference. I mark general observations, what I dose, lighting changes, water parameters, and water changed. It’s really helpful to both make me more observant of my aquarium and to look back at causative changes.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back