Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have patience, take things slow, and stability is key! The last tip refers to not making many changes at once and keeping parameters stable. For example, if you are going to change the lighting, wait 2-4 weeks to see what the coral response is before you switch back or make another drastic change.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck,
Jim

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater and just looking for general advice that you wish you had known when you started off thank you in advance
Again, take things very slowly. Your tank may cycle In 3 weeks, but personally, I think it’s better to wait for some sort of algae growth and a visible pod population to appear. Pay attention to parameters but don’t check them twice a day, you’ll go nuts. Start with easy corals such as zoas, palys, and leathers. Don’t get GSP or Xenia, your entire rock structure will eventually be smothered by it. for algae control, sea urchins are fantastic and fun to watch. Wait on anemones.
That’s all I have.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with the previous two posters. Patience is more than just a virtue in this hobby. Keep your eyes on the long game at all times and remember the old addage: only bad things happen quickly in reefing.

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set realistic expectations for your first system. There’s a lot of eye candy to distract new reefers. Ask yourself, would you rather have a successful start with basic, easy to keep corals or struggle trying to provide the required conditions for more demanding corals.

Technology and additives are not always the answer to a problem. A consistent maintenance routine and clean water sources will take you a long way.

Avoid impulse buys, research your livestock purchases thoroughly.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Kev036

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another one I was told and helped was keep test logs and notes. so if you ever have a recurring issue months or years down the line you can reference readings like PAR, salinity, Mg etc.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, start with real ocean live rock. Not the wet live rock in tanks at your LFS, but real mariculture ocean live rock, with all of the hitchhikers and risk. It is a beautiful thing!

Nutramar Foods

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to buy very expensive equipment. I remember buying very expensive powerheads. Why? Who was I trying to impress? You guys! No offence(love ya all) but you guys could really care less if my powerheads are $400 each or $80 each. What really matters is how you take care of your fishes and corals.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
vorphex1010

vorphex1010

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, take things very slowly. Your tank may cycle In 3 weeks, but personally, I think it’s better to wait for some sort of algae growth and a visible pod population to appear. Pay attention to parameters but don’t check them twice a day, you’ll go nuts. Start with easy corals such as zoas, palys, and leathers. Don’t get GSP or Xenia, your entire rock structure will eventually be smothered by it. for algae control, sea urchins are fantastic and fun to watch. Wait on anemones.
That’s all I have.
ah yes I did my research on cycling I fed bacteria every week for 6 months I added a pair of clowns a week ago I'm testing my water daily at my lfs everything is testing perfectly these have been my parameters for the past 2 months
Ca 420-450
Mg 1350-1400
Alk 8-8.5 dkh
No3 <10 ppm
Po4 <.05 ppm
salinity 35 ppt
Temp 77 deg
I am starting to buy some corals I would like to build a euphylia garden currently I have 1 new york knicks torch from top shelf aquatics and 2 random zoanthid frags from the lfs

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah yes I did my research on cycling I fed bacteria every week for 6 months I added a pair of clowns a week ago I'm testing my water daily at my lfs everything is testing perfectly these have been my parameters for the past 2 months
Ca 420-450
Mg 1350-1400
Alk 8-8.5 dkh
No3 <10 ppm
Po4 <.05 ppm
salinity 35 ppt
Temp 77 deg
I am starting to buy some corals I would like to build a euphylia garden currently I have 1 new york knicks torch from top shelf aquatics and 2 random zoanthid frags from the lfs
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep it up. I love my clowns.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater and just looking for general advice that you wish you had known when you started off thank you in advance
Buy great equipment to start. So many times I bought cheapest, cheaper, cheap, and the best. Would have saved a lot of money just going with good solid proven equipment.

Set a time budget. Sync it with your financial budget. When I started my last tank we just moved, we have two kids, and a 3rd was on the way. I setup a tank that could run, dose, water change, and keep the ATO full by itself for several weeks without intervention. It cost a lot of money. Now I spend about an hour working on my aquarium (not right now…but normally). I have had tanks that required daily maintenance and tweaking and that wouldn’t be possible any more. Dosing pumps, automated testing, automatic water changes, etc cost thousands of dollars.

Tank costs go up and down by size, equipment is not such an even curve. Discounting the cost of the tank- I could setup a 150g for very close to what I’d pay to setup a 75g….nowhere near double. Especially if the width and length were similar.

I’ve been “in” this hobby in 3 states and 5 cities. There are two different types of people…those who are normal, show up, chat, and buy some coral and those who are looking to horde tanks and equipment. They’re buying a cracked 400g acrylic tank on Tuesday and then selling it for a protein skimmer with no pump on Friday.

I hate selling coral because 50% of the people show up with no dang money and want to trade me something (a Bowie knife, a Jack Daniel’s barrel (empty) and a broken dyson for instance).

Gulf live rock or maricultured live rock will fix 80% of your new tank woes.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow. Don't throw additives in your tank you probably don't need. Keep a stocked medicine cabinet for fish emergencies including Copper Power, Prazipro and Rally Pro. Quarantine! Dip your new corals. Have dual heaters each on their own controller (heaters are most common failure). Record your test results, filter change dates and equipment cleaning dates. Attack all hitchhiker appearances right away before they get out of control.

OP
OP
vorphex1010

vorphex1010

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy great equipment to start. So many times I bought cheapest, cheaper, cheap, and the best. Would have saved a lot of money just going with good solid proven equipment.

Set a time budget. Sync it with your financial budget. When I started my last tank we just moved, we have two kids, and a 3rd was on the way. I setup a tank that could run, dose, water change, and keep the ATO full by itself for several weeks without intervention. It cost a lot of money. Now I spend about an hour working on my aquarium (not right now…but normally). I have had tanks that required daily maintenance and tweaking and that wouldn’t be possible any more. Dosing pumps, automated testing, automatic water changes, etc cost thousands of dollars.

Tank costs go up and down by size, equipment is not such an even curve. Discounting the cost of the tank- I could setup a 150g for very close to what I’d pay to setup a 75g….nowhere near double. Especially if the width and length were similar.

I’ve been “in” this hobby in 3 states and 5 cities. There are two different types of people…those who are normal, show up, chat, and buy some coral and those who are looking to horde tanks and equipment. They’re buying a cracked 400g acrylic tank on Tuesday and then selling it for a protein skimmer with no pump on Friday.

I hate selling coral because 50% of the people show up with no dang money and want to trade me something (a Bowie knife, a Jack Daniel’s barrel (empty) and a broken dyson for instance).

Gulf live rock or maricultured live rock will fix 80% of your new tank woes.
thank you and everyone in this amazing community i feel honored to be in this amazing community

Charles Zinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The information you get from local fish store's varies and advice can be limiting. First rock was too high . Should have gone with calcium reactor earlier with a big tank and although parameters came in line trace and minor elements can make a big bigger difference in your corals and frozen and live foods grow fish faster and in my opinion pollute tank less.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back