Adding more anthias - what sex?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mature, maybe 4 year old lyretail anthia that has remained female. I want to add 2-3 more and try to have a harem. Should I add all females and let them decide who will morph to become the dominant male, or try to get a male fish to start with?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mature, maybe 4 year old lyretail anthia that has remained female. I want to add 2-3 more and try to have a harem. Should I add all females and let them decide who will morph to become the dominant male, or try to get a male fish to start with?
Its for sure a female? Like no color changes? If so you could do more females and let them change ot do some females and find a male!

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its for sure a female? Like no color changes? If so you could do more females and let them change ot do some females and find a male!
I think its still female, but I’m no expert. Is it rare for them to stay female when single? Here is mine:

IMG_5275.jpeg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its still female, but I’m no expert. Is it rare for them to stay female when single? Here is mine:

IMG_5275.jpeg
Oh yeah looks female to me! And Im not sure honestly, Ive only ever got them in a harem with one full male and 4 females

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to add females (group higher than 4 works very well) and let them work it out.

I will rarely, if ever, buy a male anthias. Sometimes a dominant female can take over and kill a submissive male.

It won’t take long for the dominant female to change. It’s fascinating to watch.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back