Adding Coppersafe to Previously-Reef Tank

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing multiple 2-3 month fallow periods and treating all the affected fish in a 250-300 gallon system multiple times, the same protozoan infection keeps recurring. It looks like Ich, but I'd rather just use coppersafe in the tank at this point and eliminate the possibility of having the same routine occur.

The question is, the tank is kept as a reef; I've already removed all visible invertebrates and coral. What should I expect with chemistry (i.e. ammonia, copper concentration) after the initial coppersafe dose? Should I recheck levels in the next couple days to watch for fluctuations?

Any insight with this sort of experience welcome.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing multiple 2-3 month fallow periods and treating all the affected fish in a 250-300 gallon system multiple times, the same protozoan infection keeps recurring. It looks like Ich, but I'd rather just use coppersafe in the tank at this point and eliminate the possibility of having the same routine occur.

The question is, the tank is kept as a reef; I've already removed all visible invertebrates and coral. What should I expect with chemistry (i.e. ammonia, copper concentration) after the initial coppersafe dose? Should I recheck levels in the next couple days to watch for fluctuations?

Any insight with this sort of experience welcome.
You’ve removed the macro invertebrates, but coppersafe will kill off micro invertebrates as well - that might cause a minor ammonia rise after about three days. Of course, the copper may bind into the rocks and sand, rendering it unusable for invertebrates in the future.

Chloroquine wont bind with your rocks, so is easy to remove with water changes when the treatment is done. However, chloroquine kills all invertebrates as well as algae. High ammonia spikes are often seen after dosing it.

Hyposalinity will kill invertebrates but isn’t as harsh as chloroquine. However, hypo only cures ich and flukes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve removed the macro invertebrates, but coppersafe will kill off micro invertebrates as well - that might cause a minor ammonia rise after about three days. Of course, the copper may bind into the rocks and sand, rendering it unusable for invertebrates in the future.

Chloroquine won bind with your rocks, so is easy to remove with water changes when the treatment is done. However, chloroquine kills all invertebrates as well as algae. High ammonia spikes are often seen after dosing it.

Hyposalinity will kill invertebrates but isn’t as harsh as chloroquine. However, hypo only cures ich and flukes.
I was expecting to have to use heavy copper removal (cuprisorb, carbon, polypads) for a long time after the treatment period before reintroducing any inverts, but the fish are the chief priority. Thanks

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back