Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add sand first then do the aquascape, but others do the opposite - place rock bottom of glass then add the substrate. What is the correct way, pros and cons - is one more right than the other and what are the consequences if rock is added last.

Nutramar Foods

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, I added sand first then the aquascape. I've heard that doing that can cause your rocks to be on "unstable ground" since it is on top of the sand. Likewise, I just pushed my rock a little deep into the sand, and it seems sturdy as far as I can tell.

BRS

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add sand first then do the aquascape, but others do the opposite - place rock bottom of glass then add the substrate. What is the correct way, pros and cons - is one more right than the other and what are the consequences if rock is added last.
I always did what this guy does. Then I found out everyone else was right. Rocks then sand. My pistol shrimp is busy building a massive cave (rip sunrise setosa) nothing is disturbed and my rocks stay the same..

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small layer of sand (1/2” or so) followed by settling the rocks into the sand. When the rocks have “pointy” sections or edges I’ll place eggcrate underneath to spread the pressure. Then I put in the remaining sand.

I found having a base layer of sand helps with small voids

The_Skrimp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote rock first then sand. Especially if you plan on getting anything like a pistol shrimp or nassarius snails that like to dig.
I used egg crate under the rocks to keep them from going directly on the glass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Many years - first is the sand, then rocks.
I at times add water first then salt and allow salt to dissolve, then sand, then rocks

Top Shelf Aquatics

knockout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks first so they are sitting directly on the bottom and as stable, then add sand, the depth of the sand matters a lot if you're going for 1/2-1" sand depth it may not matter too much the rocks will likely make it to the bottom in no time, but if you're going for a 2" sand bed then some critters such as pistols and engineer gobies may cause some trouble for you.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back