Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this topic must have a thread but I've been unable to find one. When I had a reef 30 years ago carbon in the displays filtration was used constantly and in large amounts. Getting back in the hobby now I hear little discussion of it. My current system is < 1 yo and I have not used any as yet but have a reactor set up for any use necessary. Routine use, occasional intermittent use, only to remove specific toxins, meds etc that you know or suspect are present? What's a new reefer to do?

Nutramar Foods

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an easy trap to fall into that you need x, y and z because everyone else appears to use it. Often a lot additives that people feel compelled to use are unnecessary. While not always detrimental to the tank they don't help the natural balance that you should strive for. If you don't have a problem, don't try to fix it

That said, activated carbon is quite useful for removing a number of unwanted contaminants, whether harmful or not and and a useful byproduct of that is enhanced water clarity.
It certainly has a use when known toxins and/contaminants are present but ultimately isn't required in a lot of situations.

There are arguments against using it in a reactor as the tumbling action may break it down and carbon dust is linked with HLLE. That said, many people do with no problems at all.

I had issues with my Zoas staying closed and concluded that my Sinularia were involved in a bit of toxin warfare. I tried carbon in my little Bubble Magus reactor mixed with GFO. The flow adjustment is quite rudimentary and even at the minimum setting it would push all the carbon to the top where it clumped up and restricted the flow. I now run it in a bag which, while not as effective it does the job.

Ultimately, it has its uses. Not all of them are essential buy it's certainly useful.

Top Shelf Aquatics

george9

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it religiously and change it about every 10 days for peace of mind. If I stick my hand in the tank and accidentally get a bit of hand sanitizer or lotion or some sort of aerosol makes it into the water, it will filter it out. I'm pretty good about washing my hands well and not spraying anything near the tank but covers my butt in case I slip up. Also helps with coral warfare and cuts any odors.

AquaCave Logo Banner

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7/365 Have for 30 years, and will continue until I'm dead.

As far as running it in a reactor, plumb the reactor backwards so the water pushes down through the reactor so the carbon cannot tumble and grind into itself creating carbon dust which has been linked to HLLE.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it in a reactor that is nothing more than an RO cartridge housing with a pump connected. I push the sponges down so the carbon doesn't tumble. I haven't run it religiously but my water is definatly clearer when I do. I'm going to start running it on a regular basis going forward because the water so clear.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend GAC. Should be a good quality washed carbon like ROX 0.8.

IMO, there is little drawback to it.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend GAC. Should be a good quality washed carbon like ROX 0.8.

IMO, there is little drawback to it.
Exactly what I had purchased. I know I don't want it tumbling and I only needed six ounces per the instructions so I packed filter sponge in the reactor on each side of the carbon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I had purchased. I know I don't want it tumbling and I only needed six ounces per the instructions so I packed filter sponge in the reactor on each side of the carbon.

Sounds good.

Happy Reefing. :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back