Activated Carbon Filter Cartridge: Keep or remove for dosing Chemiclean?

domrahe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I hope someone in the community may be able to answer my question. I have had my ten gallon tall reef tank running for about 1 year and two months and it has most definitely been a learning experience (a good one :)). For the entirety of my tanks existence, I have used the Top Fin® Silenstream™ Power Filter and it has done it's job nicely. The filter cartridges I have been using are specific (to my knowledge) to the filter and contain activated carbon (linked here). I noticed recently that I have some areas within the tank that are accumulating a good bit of cyano. Strangely enough, my test kits are reading zero nitrates and zero phosphates (though I have been using API test kits, planning on upgrading around Christmas time. For now though they will have to do.) While I attempt to find the root cause of the cyano (which im working very hard to do) I want to use chemiclean to at least prevent it from potentially reaching some of the corals I have near my substrate such as my zoas. My question is, if I dose Chemiclean, should I take out my filter cartridge? If so how can I preserve it well enough to keep the beneficial bacteria alive while I treat the cyano. Any advice is extremely appreciated! Thank you! :)

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I hope someone in the community may be able to answer my question. I have had my ten gallon tall reef tank running for about 1 year and two months and it has most definitely been a learning experience (a good one :)). For the entirety of my tanks existence, I have used the Top Fin® Silenstream™ Power Filter and it has done it's job nicely. The filter cartridges I have been using are specific (to my knowledge) to the filter and contain activated carbon (linked here). I noticed recently that I have some areas within the tank that are accumulating a good bit of cyano. Strangely enough, my test kits are reading zero nitrates and zero phosphates (though I have been using API test kits, planning on upgrading around Christmas time. For now though they will have to do.) While I attempt to find the root cause of the cyano (which im working very hard to do) I want to use chemiclean to at least prevent it from potentially reaching some of the corals I have near my substrate such as my zoas. My question is, if I dose Chemiclean, should I take out my filter cartridge? If so how can I preserve it well enough to keep the beneficial bacteria alive while I treat the cyano. Any advice is extremely appreciated! Thank you! :)
Yes remove the carbon. I would not worry about preserving the bacteria, The aquarium has plenty.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back