Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It too bad the cervicornis isnt often seen in the hobby either. I see that it is one of the three threatened species, A. cervicornis, A. prolifera, and A. palmata.

Why exactly are those three species threatened? Polution? Divers harming them? Mother nature? Any and all human interference?

BRS
OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why exactly are those three species threatened? Polution? Divers harming them? Mother nature? Any and all human interference?

All of the above. From wikipedia:

"Since 1980, populations have collapsed throughout their range from disease outbreaks, with losses compounded locally by hurricanes, increased predation, bleaching, and other factors. This species is also particularly susceptible to damage from sedimentation and sensitive to temperature and salinity variation. Populations have declined by up to 98% throughout the range, and localized extirpations have occurred."

BRS

KLR

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago I was on a small forum and came across a diver from Florida who collected corals, legally, for his aquariums and sold some others so he could make some $ for himself. Anyways, he gave me a small list of what he could get large size colonies of and iirc he also told me that he had collected some elkhorn coral before it was protected...To bad I don't really know how to contact him again...

deadmeat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago I was on a small forum and came across a diver from Florida who collected corals, legally, for his aquariums and sold some others so he could make some $ for himself. Anyways, he gave me a small list of what he could get large size colonies of and iirc he also told me that he had collected some elkhorn coral before it was protected...To bad I don't really know how to contact him again...

Mine is also a pre protection aqua cultured frag. Atlanticseafarms.net has them available. I purchased mine from him and was extremely satisfied with my purchase!

Tom

Last edited:

reefmadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure no doubt.... I don't know where chalices got there name... They should have named them uncle ben since no one let's them get bigger than a grain of rice any more... Buhahahahahahah I don't care who you are that's funny rite dere!!!!! Ahahah lol!!!

IKR??? That is hilarious Troy. Its sad that these beautiful pieces just keep getting hacked and hacked. Buy a frag, put it in your DT and let the thing GROW!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

deadmeat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IKR??? That is hilarious Troy. Its sad that these beautiful pieces just keep getting hacked and hacked. Buy a frag, put it in your DT and let the thing GROW!

Yea we are lucky pre protected is in the hobby and wild collection is prohibited! Sad would be not respecting all the critters we put into our tanks. Seems that as long as people can get the eye candy they desire they are happy. Anything else they criticize...

Tom

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
Can you post a picture of that frag that you got, please?
It was funny I got notified on it cause I commented 10 years ago but a thread from this morning it never tells me there’s an update haha!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was funny I got notified on it cause I commented 10 years ago but a thread from this morning it never tells me there’s an update haha!
Ha!... anyway... a recent post mentioning a frag of A. palmata just can't go without at least one nice picture of it under a "daylight" setting!

BigBabich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is light brown, but even with my yellow filter the pics came out a bit weird. It really does look like it's made out of elk horn, so very aptly named.
I had never seen it before, so I asked the LFS employee and they ID'd it for me (so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong).

Attachments

• Elk3.jpg
    Elk3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 25
Top Shelf Aquatics

BigBabich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an elk horn montipora that can be mistaken for acropora palmata. Picture above kinda looks like that.
Thanks for setting me straight. The LFS just said elk horn, and that stumbled me into this thread. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. I didn't know what I had

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people who have A. Plamata and have received it legally. It is tricky to keep and even tricker to move since selling it might be illegal and trading it is questionable. It grows slow, seems to want more PAR than most people can give it and does not tolerate much in the way of elevated no3 and po4 or instability. It looks good under 10k and better than the pics from the ocean.

It is just dumb to me that some folks would rather see larger pieces of this destroyed rather than given away to other hobbyists. NFP aquariums can trade them, the last that I heard. Nobody wants them to put back in the ocean after being in captivity.

I doubt that any of them will post on here and deal with the PMs asking for shipping or anything. :) The ones that I know that have it are around the Gulf Coast.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people who have A. Plamata and have received it legally. It is tricky to keep and even tricker to move since selling it might be illegal and trading it is questionable. It grows slow, seems to want more PAR than most people can give it and does not tolerate much in the way of elevated no3 and po4 or instability. It looks good under 10k and better than the pics from the ocean.

It is just dumb to me that some folks would rather see larger pieces of this destroyed rather than given away to other hobbyists. NFP aquariums can trade them, the last that I heard. Nobody wants them to put back in the ocean after being in captivity.

I doubt that any of them will post on here and deal with the PMs asking for shipping or anything. :) The ones that I know that have it are around the Gulf Coast.
Do you still have the one you've received legally? Pics?

Top Shelf Aquatics
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back