Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I should post this question here or in the LPS forum...but I'm a newbie so it's probably a newbie question! lol

Research tells me that Acanthastrea are the same thing as Micromussa, but my LFS tells me that they are different and that an acan has large polyps, whereas the micromussa has small polyps. Can someone clarify? Are they the same or are they not the same?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Micromussa known as acan lord is actually a lobophyllis coral

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So as mentioned above, Micromussa and Acan Lords are the same coral. They were reclassified from Acan to Micromussa. Some vendors still sell them.as Acans simply because it's how it's always been.

Edit to add: Basically, Lordhowensis are all the same regardless of what word comes before them.

World Wide Corals

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as mentioned above, Micromussa and Acan Lords are the same coral. They were reclassified from Acan to Micromussa. Some vendors still sell them.as Acans simply because it's how it's always been.

Edit to add: Basically, Lordhowensis are all the same regardless of what word comes before them.
So to clarify, there’a two names for the same thing, my understanding was that acans are also a separate group? Like you have Acan lords/micromussa and you have acans, is it that or is it just all micromussa?

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So to clarify, there’a two names for the same thing, my understanding was that acans are also a separate group? Like you have Acan lords/micromussa and you have acans, is it that or is it just all micromussa?
Acan Lords are Micromussa. All other Acans are still Acans.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They’re an acan group with smaller polyps

AquaCave Logo Banner

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micromussa lordhowensis, formerly Acanthastrea lordhowensis is known to the hobby as acans. There are other species of Micromussa, such as M. amakusensis (usually just called micromussa), M. indiana (not seen in the hobby due to being native to the Indian ocean), M. pacifica (commonly called button/croc island/mini scolys), M. multipunctata (also not seen in the hobby but is defined by a plocoid skeleton as opposed to cerioid in most other Micromussas), and M. regularis (also not found in the hobby due to its rarity, and probably warrants a separate genus). True Acanthastrea are called echinatas by the hobby, but include various species including A. echinata, A. subechinata, A. hemprichii, and A. brevis. These four species are very poorly delimited from each other. There is also A. rotundoflora, which is sometimes confused for chalices; A. pachysepta, which is often confused for Lobophyllia; and A. minuta, which is rarely seen.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back