Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacterial infection) caused by vibrio bacteria can be detected via microscope imaging of a sample.of the infected area I believe... My understanding these bacteria cannot be cultured in the lab....if memory is correct.
Which I think means you cannot detect it in water, until it infect the skin..
You can culture it. It requires a broth method.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s all take a breath and a few steps back. In general when you dig through such news there’s always a contributing factor, such as a compromised immune system. The level of serious infections in saltwater is exceedingly rare considering how many people with cuts, scrapes, you name it get in contact with saltwater daily...

Fortunately, common precautions like washing your hands after getting in contact with the tank water or latex gloves go a long way. For those who have a compromised immune system, additional steps may be warranted - and you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Here’s another thing that can happen:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gs-hands-amputated-after-dogs-lick/877895002/

Did you know bacteria in your fridge can kill you???! Tune in at 10 to your local news station.

FYi - the point was not to imply or suggest that this is common. That said - If you DO have a cut while working in your aquarium - and it DOES start looking like its spreading - its not the type of cut to say 'oh well I'll wait until tomorrow'. Its the same as the people that minimize palythoa - until they have it and then its like 'wow - I didnt know that'.

There are many instances of people dying from vibrio vulnificans after eating undercooked seafood. etc.

I had poked my arm on a piece of coral maybe a couple years ago - within the hour it was the size of a thumbtack - within 10 hours the size of a softball. I went to the doctor - who said - its probably strep or staph. I said - yeah you're right - but how about giving me something in case its not. Forewarned is forearmed.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To respond to OP, I'm more worried about infecting my tank than it infecting me. There are things in the reef environment that can certainly harm humans. Bacteria is one. It's unlikely but infection is possible. Keep your reef safe and keep yourself safe!

I'm not sure with what you would infect your tank - but I agree with you - the likelyhood is low for a serious infection - but - it is a bit different though - This infection acts much like Ebola (kills quickly - even with treatment). If I said - each time you put your hands into your tank you could have Ebola on them - (even if its extremely unlikely) wouldn't you take some precautions (i.e. wash your hands with soap and water after putting them in the tank - especially before eating something (yes - this can be spread in food as well). etc etc - that was the point.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does rare bacteria come from? Seems we can kill it off and avoid bringing it back in. For all we know, it’s the bull that causes rtn or stn.
It’s not that rare, and people don’t know if their tank is infected. It could be completely wiped out except one random persons tank, they sell a random birdsnest frag to their LFS for store credit. That LFS goes about their business unknowing, all their customers get it, all their customers customers get it if they sell frags on their own, then the customers, customers customers get it. It’s impossible to stop.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will uv sterilizer kill it off? I don’t add things to my tank very often. Seems that at some point everything floating will be dead.
Not a hobby grade one, if you get one of the crazy ones that use ozone and UV yea, they kill bacteria. Massive and not cheap though.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will uv sterilizer kill it off? I don’t add things to my tank very often. Seems that at some point everything floating will be dead.

I would doubt it. Just like a UV does not kill all bacteria in the tank - it may grow on rocks, etc.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - the message others tried to convey (and myself as well) - is not to try to eradicate these bacteria from your tanks - just like you cant when you go snorkeling. The idea is to 1. be careful not to cut yourself in your tank. 2. Dont put open cuts into your tank, 3. If you do get a cut - - clean it well (follow the directions on the snorkeling websites for coral cuts, etc) - and watch carefully for any worsening. If its worsening - have a low threshold for an emergency room visit. There was a recent thread where a guy cut his finger I think - and his whole hand was red and swollen and he was asking 'should I go to the ER'. Despite a couple physicians saying definitely - he was like 'well maybe tomorrow'. Thats the type of attitude to try to sway.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe have a prescription of Cipro on standby ;)
From a paper: We favor treatment of patients with septicemia or serious wound infections using combination therapy with either minocycline or doxycycline (100 mg orally twice daily), plus either cefotaxime (2 g intravenously every eight hours) or ceftriaxone (1 g intravenously daily); doses should be appropriately adjusted for underlying renal or hepatic disease. The combination of cefotaxime and ciprofloxacin is also likely effective [42]. Fluoroquinolone monotherapy (ie, levofloxacin 750 mg orally or intravenously once daily) is another alternative.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYi - the point was not to imply or suggest that this is common. That said - If you DO have a cut while working in your aquarium - and it DOES start looking like its spreading - its not the type of cut to say 'oh well I'll wait until tomorrow'. Its the same as the people that minimize palythoa - until they have it and then its like 'wow - I didnt know that'.

There are many instances of people dying from vibrio vulnificans after eating undercooked seafood. etc.

I had poked my arm on a piece of coral maybe a couple years ago - within the hour it was the size of a thumbtack - within 10 hours the size of a softball. I went to the doctor - who said - its probably strep or staph. I said - yeah you're right - but how about giving me something in case its not. Forewarned is forearmed.

I think it’s common sense not to ignore a festering/worsening wound no matter how one gets injured, no?!

I still don’t think an average person with a minor cut or two on their hands needs to worry about putting their hands in the tank...best practice afterwards is of course to wash your hands with regular soap.

And as said before if you have a compromised immune system take extra precautions.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back