A massive aquarium in your local fish store: Is that still a thing?

BRS

Do local fish stores still have massive show tanks, and does it matter?

• My LFS has a large show tank and it is awesome!

Votes: 269 64.4%
  • My LFS has a large show tank and meh, I barely notice.

Votes: 43 10.3%
  • My LFS does not have a large show tank, but I wish they would.

Votes: 64 15.3%
  • My LFS does not have a large show tank and it doesn’t matter to me.

Votes: 42 10.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It used to be that many local fish stores (LFSs) had a massive aquarium in their store and that was intended to be an attraction for people to marvel at the tank and watch the fish. With the cost of real estate going up, profit margins getting thinner, and culture changing, is it still a thing for LFSs to have monster tanks? Does your LFS have a huge show tank? Do you care? Tell us what you think about the importance or impact of a large show tank in your LFS in the thread below!

Here is a video of the 1500 gallon show tank at @WWC's mega store:

It should be mentioned that this large show tank is not just a beautiful and mesmerizing, it is also a “working” tank where the corals are regularly fragged and sold. One of the many benefits that this provides is that we get to see many large coral colonies!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
One of the first stores I started visiting had a huge tank of pulsing Xenia and that really drew me in! To see those “things” actually living and moving was amazing to me.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several of our LFS (I am sure like many) have several tanks to show off different types of things - fish, coral, inverts, etc. A few of them have really nice show tanks, but due to space are not "MASSIVE."

LeDart

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite LFS, has a large display tank, I think it is a 230 gallon, and it is beautiful, however, because of the size of their shop, they can't have any other large displays, they have a nano, and a pico display, but the 230 takes the cake, sadly I have no picture of it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the option for I don’t have a lfs?
Sad Baby GIF

My favorite not so local fish store that I love to visit has several large show tanks.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It used to be that many local fish stores (LFSs) had a massive aquarium in their store and that was intended to be an attraction for people to marvel at the tank and watch the fish. With the cost of real estate going up, profit margins getting thinner, and culture changing, is it still a thing for LFSs to have monster tanks? Does your LFS have a huge show tank? Do you care? Tell us what you think about the importance or impact of a large show tank in your LFS in the thread below!

Here is a video of the 1500 gallon show tank at @WWC's mega store:

It should be mentioned that this large show tank is not just a beautiful and mesmerizing, it is also a “working” tank where the corals are regularly fragged and sold. One of the many benefits that this provides is that we get to see many large coral colonies!
The main LFS I go to has 4 or 5 DT. They've got an Arowana and Redtail Catfish tank, African Cichlid tank, Oscar tank, and two reef tanks. They also have several smaller DT with plants and shrimp and community tanks. All NFS. Some are nice, others are just kinda "Meh".

mjszos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS in my area has a shark tank in the center of their store, but you can't really see much of what's going on inside of it unless you climb up to look from the top. Still a neat thing though.

Otherwise the rest are just giant frag tanks, with a few "smaller" show tanks (100-200g)

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 3 I go to I'd say they all have one a few hundred gallons. One has really impressive corals bu the other two are nothing special. I wish they did though. I'd love to see something to aspire to there and ask them about it.

AV corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel LFS kind of have to do that IMO. It essentially shows the capabilities of a LFS. Ok maybe they don't haaaave too, but it's always nice to see that's for sure. If you guys ever eat by Ports O Call in San Pedro CA- Stop by 7 Seas tropical fish San Pedro! Reeally nice stuff!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two stores I ever visit don't have large show tanks. The tanks they do have are underwhelming to say the least.

The 2 stores I used to visit a ton had amazing show tanks! One was a 600g full walk around tank and it was stunning! Lit by halides and it just glowed from every angle. The other was an in wall tank and very deep front to back. It was so cool to stare into an actual reef. The depth made it very real.

Sadly, both stores are gone now.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back