A little info from a newbee - Learned the hard way

KC-lost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a new AI Prime 16 HD on my nano 10 gallon tank. I have yet to finalize the light schedule and intensities for all the colors, learning as I go... So I decided to download a few programs from AI's website and see what they look like compared to what I have it set at.

The first program I tried was noticeably higher in Blues than what I had (I mean at least twice as much if not more). So when I switched to this schedule and settings the change in the look was dramatic! My soft corals and RBT looked awesome and was quite the improvement, IMO. Anyway, after the switch within a second or two, my Female clownfish immediately starting attacking her bonded male. She grabbed him by one of his side fins and was shaking him violently. As soon as I noticed this I tapped my hand on the side of the tank to distract her and she stopped for a few seconds before getting him in her sights again and right back into attack mode.
I quickly realized that this must have something to do with the lights. So I reverted back to the other light settings I had it on and she stopped attacking. As quickly as I could anyway, as these AI lights are not quick in responding to changes you make on your phone.
The male clown (ocellaris) was pretty freaked out and went into avoidance mode for 10-15 minutes until they started going back into their dominance/bonding quivering process and seemed to slowly get back to normal. He was either slightly injured or was afraid to move one of his side fins she had ahold of, but over time he appeared to be ok.
What I believe happened is the light change was so dramatic and both clowns took on a very dark color almost like maroon clowns look, and when that occurred she didn't recognize her male as "her" male and started trying to kill him.

So be careful, I learned this one the hard way.

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting into reefing, so this is fascinating to see.

Do you know if there's a "slow transition" option to go from one lighting scene to another? I know mine have an "acclimation" setting, but it's just for intensity, not scene/color changes.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back