Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been running now for 15 minutes with no leaks anywhere!!
IMG_8531.jpeg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to start with the aquascape this week. Have around 40 pounds of Reef Save from Marco Rocks on hand. I will grab more if needed, but it feels like it should be plenty for a tank this size.

Finally put together the full equipment list for the build as well.

Tank - Aqueon 60 Breeder
Sump - Ice Cap 30
Stand - DIY
Overflow - Exotic Marine Systems 20”
Lights - Maxspect Jump 65 Watt x 2
Powerheads - AI Nero 5 x 2
Heaters - BRS 200 Watt Titanium Element x 2
Heater Controller - Innovative Marine Helios Heater Controller
Skimmer - AquaMaxx DFC 80
Return Pump - Sicce SDC 3.0
Reactor - BRS mini carbon reactor
Controller - Neptune Apex EL System
Refractometer - BRS
ATO - Tunze Osmolator

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on the aqua scape all week. Using Reef Saver have come up with the below scape for now. Will likely make some minor tweaks to the left side over the weekend. Utilized BRS extra thick super glue and insta set to hold everything in place. Coming behind with epoxy to really hold. Thoughts?
IMG_8573.jpeg
IMG_8571.jpeg
IMG_8570.jpeg
IMG_8569.jpeg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More done today. Heats installed. Went with 2 of the 200 Watt BRS titanium heaters and a Innovative Marine Helio heater controller that will be backed up by Apex.

Will get skimmer installed, powerheads, cable management and sand before the weekend is over.

IMG_8579.jpeg
IMG_8580.jpeg
IMG_8581.jpeg
IMG_8582.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the afternoon rinsing sand and getting it in the tank. I chose Caribsea Special Grade Aragonite. Used probably 30-35 lbs, for a depth between 1/2” and 3/4”.

Trying to decide what to use to cover the gray epoxy in the aqua scape. Open to suggestions and ideas. Going to browse the forum this evening for ideas.

Finished some of the last cable management today. Now I’m going to get my BRS Mini Reactor installed and mounted. Then it will be time to start adding RODI and making saltwater!

IMG_8624.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is in the tank! Rinsing of the sane apparently worked better than I thought, just a slight haze to the tank. Going to give it a couple days to clear. Fired up the heaters to get the temp where I want. Slowly starting to setup everything on the Apex, got a long ways to go with that as it's my first one. Going to add salt later this week and then start cycling.

Have some drain noise I have to work on as well, seems to be from the 2nd drain, not the full siphon, and noise from the filter socks. Open to suggestions on how to resolve both of those.
IMG_8638.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is in the tank! Rinsing of the sane apparently worked better than I thought, just a slight haze to the tank. Going to give it a couple days to clear. Fired up the heaters to get the temp where I want. Slowly starting to setup everything on the Apex, got a long ways to go with that as it's my first one. Going to add salt later this week and then start cycling.

Have some drain noise I have to work on as well, seems to be from the 2nd drain, not the full siphon, and noise from the filter socks. Open to suggestions on how to resolve both of those. View attachment 3166087
Glad you got water in the tank!!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on finalizing everything in the cabinet and finishing running cords to clean them up. Learning the Apex little by little. Got a FMM added to my EL last night with a leak sensor I placed in my cabinet and a MOS I added to the ATO storage to let me know before it runs out.

Will finish getting salinity right tonight, then start the cycle. Doing a fishless with Dr. Tim's. Never used this product in the past, so figured I would try something new. Since my tank is all Marco rock I am going to order a small pack of real ocean rock from Tampa Bay or somewhere similar after the cycle ends to start bringing in more variety of bacteria and micro fauna.

Corals.com
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back