6' peninsula, turbelle stream 3s, gyres, or mp40s?

BRS
OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea p650 and use two mp40 At 18% and have enough flow for up to the middle of the tank where I have sps and zoa. I have chalices at the very back of my tank and Goni, acan, torch, blasto, acantho, frogspaw, brain, scolys, and a lobo toward the front. The center of my peninsula is all sps and zoas. Your tank looks it would have a similar flow pattern depending how you position your return nozzle. This is an older pic of my tank.
View attachment 3054758
Nice looking tank!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fighting flow in my 6 foot peninsula for almost a year. Best thing I found was 2 MP60s. Gyres weren’t nearly enough let alone their constant maintenance. Stream 3s were terrible. You have to use the narrow nozzles and there are dead spots galore. The wide nozzle can’t push past 4 feet.

Longatto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running two mp-40’s and a ice cap 4k gyre on my 6ft long peninsula tank that’s 3ft wide.. I’m getting plenty flow on the other end..

I was thinking the same thing on my upcoming peninsula. 2 mp60 with a gyre in the middle near the top. get the laminar flow around the sides and gyre flow down the middle?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two weeks they are pushing water at 6 feet and more at 50%. If they are reliable or not.... We will see but so far they are good. I really like that I can have them alternate gyre every minute or so which allows the overflow to skim correctly and gives a constant moving turbulence zone up and down the tank.

I do have a hockey puck style pump in the middle to cover the middle near the wall.

Attachments

• 20230319_161916.jpg
    20230319_161916.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing on my upcoming peninsula. 2 mp60 with a gyre in the middle near the top. get the laminar flow around the sides and gyre flow down the middle?
Just remember the overflow in the middle or wires on the far side, flow wise though it sounds real good.

Longatto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember the overflow in the middle or wires on the far side, flow wise though it sounds real good.
I was hoping to mount the gyre on the top of overflow box itself. just not sure if the magnet is waterproof? can always buy waterproof ones if they aren't i guess. mp60s on the glass on each side of the overflow. all pumps on the one end. don't want anything on the peninsula side.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how mines set up.. it works really good! I’ll get a video later when I get home

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to mount the gyre on the top of overflow box itself. just not sure if the magnet is waterproof? can always buy waterproof ones if they aren't i guess. mp60s on the glass on each side of the overflow. all pumps on the one end. don't want anything on the peninsula side.
I have the magnet in my overflow, ice cap is water proof anyways.. not sure on the others but I’d imagine they all are since we put them in such a corrosive environment they would rust just being on the outside.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back