6' peninsula, turbelle stream 3s, gyres, or mp40s?

BRS

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on two flow pumps, need to keep all pumps on the back glass and get flow all the way 6 feet to the other side of the tank. BRS has gyre pumps and tunzes on sale or are mp40s worth it in this situation?

200 gallon mixed reef with sps closer to the pumps and some lps toward the far end.

Nutramar Foods
AS

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally: I ran 2, MP40’s on each side of a 6’ tank (17 tall, 18 wide). They were not sufficient to provide flow to the middle of the tank at 100%. Rock work was open on the sides, front, and back.

I purchased 2 Gyre Xf350’s and ran one on each side of the tank currently. My tank is currently a 6’x18wid125g standard (temporary) and I am probably a bit light with the 2, XF350’s now. Due to reliability, controller issues, cleaning problems, etc I don’t recommend these.
I was holding out for something better but the new gyres seem to be the old ones+a new spoiler.

I’d say try 2, MP40’s on one side but due to restocking fees and return rules, I’d probably just go with 2 MP60’s and dial them back.

I don’t like the look of traditional PH’s so I can’t speak to those.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture for some context:

20230202_160626.jpg

Nutramar Foods

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No votes for the tunze stream 3s yet.

I think they would be most effective at moving water down that length and back. Not to mention worlds more reliable and quiet than Mp40s full throttle. Nice part being the have 3 different flow configurations.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be most effective at moving water down that length and back. Not to mention worlds more reliable and quiet than Mp40s full throttle. Nice part being the have 3 different flow configurations.
How is the turbelle controller? It does not seem very customizable from what I read.

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the turbelle controller? It does not seem very customizable from what I read.

That is the shortcoming. You can sync them but your options are basically wave, alternating gyre, or constant. They have a new controller coming out that’s due soon apparently. Maybe @rvitko can comment.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the shortcoming. You can sync them but your options are basically wave, alternating gyre, or constant. They have a new controller coming out that’s due soon apparently. Maybe @rvitko can comment.
And does a wave engine fix that issue? I see it's the 0-10 output so you have a whole mess of wires, no direct drive.

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does a wave engine fix that issue? I see it's the 0-10 output so you have a whole mess of wires, no direct drive.

Yes, a wave engine would open up the possibilities but as you said at the expense of having 2 More wires.

aabucki

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank and I mounted two Red Sea 45 Gyres, vertically, on either side of the tank. They put out over 4000 gal./Hr. Plenty of flow. You can set them up so they alternate flow.

AS

aabucki

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, periodically you will still need to clean them just like any other pump for flow. I know that Maxspect just came out with new gyre pumps that have multi-directional flow adjustments. I am looking into those as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looking for recommendations on two flow pumps, need to keep all pumps on the back glass and get flow all the way 6 feet to the other side of the tank. BRS has gyre pumps and tunzes on sale or are mp40s worth it in this situation?

200 gallon mixed reef with sps closer to the pumps and some lps toward the far end.
Having large tanks. Turbelles will work
Also:
Jebao SLW-20
Mp-40
Korallia streams

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze Stream 3s are great if you can position them correctly. I have 6+ of them. I used them in my previous tank by shoving them into the rock work and having them blow out of the rock work. Hidden, Silent.... And maintenance on the Stream 3's is almost non-existent. Some that were exposed to more light required an annual cleaning of the prop. Those pumps hidden in the dark went 3.5+ years without needing any attention.

I run them without the cage and the prop fully exposed and haven't sliced or diced any fish.

For a Peninsula tank if you could bury them in the rock work at the end of the tank and have 1 facing down each side of the tank you would get pretty good clock wise / counter clock wise flow with them on an alternate timer.

Having them run at the same time would create some really good chaotic flow at the end of the tank.

The controllers are pretty simple. I put mine on a 2 speed wave and then never touch them again.

In my new 750g I am building 3" PVC stands for the bottom of the tank to angle them to the top of the tank but hidden behind the rock work.

If you can work them into your aquascape, then you only have to hide the cord and you will have the least visual impact of equipment in the tank -- This is a pretty good selling point in my opinion.

Another option is to put on the back wall aimed at the far end 2/3/4 Panta Rhei ECM42. These are really small and move alot of water. If you compare on paper their output vs some Chinese Pumps they may have the same #s. But I have seen the ECM42 easily push water 8 - 10'. The Panta Rhei also has some of the most dispersive flow.

The controller takes some skill to use all the whistles and bells - But they are a super high performance pump - with big numbers of water movement that are legit compared to published numbers by other companies.

Dave B

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze Stream 3s are great if you can position them correctly. I have 6+ of them. I used them in my previous tank by shoving them into the rock work and having them blow out of the rock work. Hidden, Silent.... And maintenance on the Stream 3's is almost non-existent. Some that were exposed to more light required an annual cleaning of the prop. Those pumps hidden in the dark went 3.5+ years without needing any attention.

I run them without the cage and the prop fully exposed and haven't sliced or diced any fish.

For a Peninsula tank if you could bury them in the rock work at the end of the tank and have 1 facing down each side of the tank you would get pretty good clock wise / counter clock wise flow with them on an alternate timer.

Having them run at the same time would create some really good chaotic flow at the end of the tank.

The controllers are pretty simple. I put mine on a 2 speed wave and then never touch them again.

In my new 750g I am building 3" PVC stands for the bottom of the tank to angle them to the top of the tank but hidden behind the rock work.

If you can work them into your aquascape, then you only have to hide the cord and you will have the least visual impact of equipment in the tank -- This is a pretty good selling point in my opinion.

Another option is to put on the back wall aimed at the far end 2/3/4 Panta Rhei ECM42. These are really small and move alot of water. If you compare on paper their output vs some Chinese Pumps they may have the same #s. But I have seen the ECM42 easily push water 8 - 10'. The Panta Rhei also has some of the most dispersive flow.

The controller takes some skill to use all the whistles and bells - But they are a super high performance pump - with big numbers of water movement that are legit compared to published numbers by other companies.

Dave B
The ECM42 makes MP60s look cheap!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ECM42 makes MP60s look cheap!
The ECM42 is $750 and the MP60s are $820 ---- You might have been looking at an ECM63 or ECM75 - Which are monster pumps and way over the MP60 price point.

But the ECM63 will literally take an MP60 and blow it out of the water. The ECM75 will Blow an MP60 out of the tank, out of the room, and out onto the lawn.

They aren't really an apples to apples comparison.

ghostandhyde

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea p650 and use two mp40 At 18% and have enough flow for up to the middle of the tank where I have sps and zoa. I have chalices at the very back of my tank and Goni, acan, torch, blasto, acantho, frogspaw, brain, scolys, and a lobo toward the front. The center of my peninsula is all sps and zoas. Your tank looks it would have a similar flow pattern depending how you position your return nozzle. This is an older pic of my tank.
7CC7C8DB-059B-4A5D-9AE5-8AC1A6FEA511.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back