Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Never seems to amaze me how these forums are such an important element to starting something new (regardless of the hobby).

I started my 32.5 fluval flex 6 months ago and have been enjoying (almost) every minute of it.

However....just lost my first fish.

Took the family to Tokyo for two weeks over the holidays and had no choice but to use an automatic feeder (on the lowest setting). I usually feed frozen mysis shrimp but got the crew used to pellets in anticipation for my time away. Also did a 10 gallon water change the day we left.

In the tank were:
2 clowns
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp
Royal gramma
6 line
Hawkfish
Halloween urchin
a few crabs and snails

I had a feeling it would happen but I came home to a full blown algae bloom (too new to know the names but a lot of green/brown hair). First order of business was to remove the auto feeder and get them some clean water. The feeder was a necessary evil but I think it overfed despite being on min setting.

All the fish seemed fine with the exception of the Gramma (missing). I figured he might be in his usual rock so I waited a few days before realizing my losses. He never reappeared.

It's been almost 2 weeks now and my tank seems to be cycling again. At first I tested and had 0.25 am and 0 nitrite. I'm assuming it's the gramma leading to the ammonia. Since I've done a few smaller water changes

My question is really this: aside from a few more frequent water changes, is there anything I should/can do? I don't want to stress the rest of the tank out and will be patient replacing but just want to make sure Im not missing something. My goal of this tank is simplicity (albeit somewhat of an oxymoron in this hobby).

Also, sidebar question, I've had a small zoa frag with two heads (I think it's called a Rasta) that hasn't grown much at all! Still 2 heads after almost 5 mos. Any tips?!

Thanks to this community.

20230114_120358.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly normal for royal grammas to disappear into the rock work... never to be seen again. I'm on royal gramma #3 ("Roy") who unlike his two predecessors actually prefers swimming out with the other fish. Go figure...

10% every 2 weeks is often fine for most reef tanks. The ammonia could be caused by the death of the gramma, but that's not going to be enough to turn your tank toxic (bacteria and scavengers will take care of any remains in short order - even if you can't locate them).

A UV is a great investment for the long-term health of your tank (in addition to yielding cleaner water, less disease and parasites and less algae growth).

As for the zoas, I have colonies that thrive, colonies that die and colonies that go on hiatus for whatever reason. It could be something is nipping at or crawling on them, they're not happy with the lighting or flow - or that they're just ticked off at you (for whatever reason).

OP
OP
T

tazoury

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly normal for royal grammas to disappear into the rock work... never to be seen again. I'm on royal gramma #3 ("Roy") who unlike his two predecessors actually prefers swimming out with the other fish. Go figure...

10% every 2 weeks is often fine for most reef tanks. The ammonia could be caused by the death of the gramma, but that's not going to be enough to turn your tank toxic (bacteria and scavengers will take care of any remains in short order - even if you can't locate them).

A UV is a great investment for the long-term health of your tank (in addition to yielding cleaner water, less disease and parasites and less algae growth).

As for the zoas, I have colonies that thrive, colonies that die and colonies that go on hiatus for whatever reason. It could be something is nipping at or crawling on them, they're not happy with the lighting or flow - or that they're just ticked off at you (for whatever reason).
Thank you for the reply, I can tell you've had some rad tanks somehow. With the risk of sounding dumb, what is a uv (ultra violet light?) and any other simple man tips to keep things going lower key long term?

World Wide Corals

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I can tell you've had some rad tanks somehow. With the risk of sounding dumb, what is a uv (ultra violet light?) and any other simple man tips to keep things going lower key long term?
I've had a few tanks over the past few years. Yes, a UV is a ultraviolet sterilizer and offers a lot of benefits to your tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back