5 tangs in a 150 gallon???

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 5x2x2 feet 150 gallon tank. I love how tangs look and was making a list of the ones that I want.

Tangs that I currently have:
Blue tang x 1
Tomini Tang x 1
Yellow Tang x 1 (it’s on pre-order)

The tangs that I want:
Purple Tang x 1
Desjardinii Tang x 1

Now before you guys get all tang police on me please hear me out

The tank has a somewhat open scape and it will be lps and soft coral dominated with some sps corals.

The tomini tang and blue tang are are already in the tank and I’m getting the yellow tang soon. Since the yellow tang will be really small I’m planning on keeping by him in my refugium for 2-3 months before adding him to the main tank.

Other than that, I really want the yellow tang in order to make the “Golden Trio of Tangs” as they call it which consists of the yellow, purple and blue tang, or so that’s what I read at least. Even if it’s not, I still really like the purple tang!

That makes it a total of 4 tangs, I really love the Desjardinii tang and would love to have it, from what I’ve read they grow very fast and get very big, but I know someone who has a Red Sea 750XXL with a Desjardinii tang that is about 6 years old and it’s not even 7 inches yet. So I was hoping that I could get the Desjardinii as well, do let me know!

The other fish that I have (ticked ones) also want to get are:
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple Firefish x 1 ✅
Royal Gramma x 1
Midas Blenny x 1
Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow Wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko Fairy Wrasse x 1
Red Head Solon Wrasse x 1
Earmuff Wrasse x 1
Ornate Leopard Wrasse x 1 ✅
White Leopard Wrasse x 1
Lyretail Anthias x 4 (1 male and 3 females)
Chromis x 6 ✅

If I exclude the tangs, I basically have 10 more fish to add. Initially I planned on a mixed reef tank with all types of corals but then I changed it to a tank which is dominated by soft and lps corals. I have a plate like rock which I will fill with meaty corals and in the back I will put soft corals that grow kind of like trees, like colt, Kenya and gorgonians. Plan on making a rock with mushrooms and toadstools. I will also get some easy to keep sps.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally really wouldn’t even keep one Desjardinii tang in 5ft tank. IMO if you let go of that desire you’ll be ok for a few years. But an adult blue in a that tank is also not done.
The blue isn’t that big it’s only a few inches, I’m hoping to upgrade it before it grows bigger. What do you think?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 with a Blue, Purple, Yellow, and Tomini. My Foxface is the peacekeeper.
I really like the Foxface, but I only like the ones without the black dot. I have one with a dot, son in gonna exchange that for one without a dot or just trade it for store credit if I see that it’s becoming difficult to maintain the nutrients in the tank. One less big fish to think about ig.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do the sailfin. I just took in one thats 7 inches from a guy who had it in a 160. Poor fish couldnt even put his fins up, guy only had it a few months from it being a baby. Blue will also get too big for that tank, the one I have is 8-9 inches and the dude is huge. Just make sure to re home or upgrade as that blue grows

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do the sailfin. I just took in one thats 7 inches from a guy who had it in a 160. Poor fish couldnt even put his fins up, guy only had it a few months from it being a baby. Blue will also get too big for that tank, the one I have is 8-9 inches and the dude is huge. Just make sure to re home or upgrade as that blue grows

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see then I won’t get the Desjardinii and I’ll keep the blue. Once he gets too big I’ll make sure to re-home him or hopefully upgrade before he grows too big. Thanks for the reply!

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established tangs are extremely aggressive against new arrivals that have the same body shape

Tangs have high metabolism and when a new neighbor shows up they see that as a threat to their daily food intake.

Established same shaped tangs will make the new one hide in the upper corner of the tank.

50/50 shot if the new one will survive about a week of hard punishment / intimidation.

A yellow and purple is an awful idea. Good chance one will die and you'll be out the big price tag you paid

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moreover....

That many wrasses, plan for ways to keep them from jumping out of the tank. (Hood, egg crate, etc)

Wrasses will chase one another... to the point where the one being chased will do an Olympic-jump out of the tank eventually.

It's not an "if" but "when"

irischan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are some tricks you may consider in case of war of the tangs. Placing a small mirror close to tank, the tangs will busy fight themself and less time to bother other real fish. If you are not keeping light-demanding SPS, turning the light dimmer can also calm down the tangs. Lastly growing tank for growing tang is the mission : )

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the yellow and purple make sure they are about the same size and add together. Ive kept both together in my 125 gallon (6 foot) tank no issues

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established tangs are extremely aggressive against new arrivals that have the same body shape

Tangs have high metabolism and when a new neighbor shows up they see that as a threat to their daily food intake.

Established same shaped tangs will make the new one hide in the upper corner of the tank.

50/50 shot if the new one will survive about a week of hard punishment / intimidation.

A yellow and purple is an awful idea. Good chance one will die and you'll be out the big price tag you paid

The blue tang was one of the very first fish in the tank and he hasn’t been too aggressive to any fish yet. He usually gets curious when adding new fish and swims up to them, but that’s about it, never chases them or anything. Almost all my other fish just hide when I add any new fish.

I feed the tank 3 times a day for the chromis and I’ll need to feed maybe 4 times a day when I get the anthias as well, so food will not be an issue I believe.

The yellow tangs that come here are very small (little bigger than quarters), so I was thinking of getting him and keeping him in my refugium for about 3 months so that he grows a bit bigger and after than I’ll add him to the main tank.
I don’t have any macro algae in my refuge but it’s full of algae, so I believe he will have a constant food source as well.

Once everything grows out a bit I was thinking of adding the purple in the end. Like the last fish of the tank. What do you think?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moreover....

That many wrasses, plan for ways to keep them from jumping out of the tank. (Hood, egg crate, etc)

Wrasses will chase one another... to the point where the one being chased will do an Olympic-jump out of the tank eventually.

It's not an "if" but "when"
Yeah I checked all their compatibility, and they all go well with each other and I also have a tight fitting lid, so hoping it won’t be any issues

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are some tricks you may consider in case of war of the tangs. Placing a small mirror close to tank, the tangs will busy fight themself and less time to bother other real fish. If you are not keeping light-demanding SPS, turning the light dimmer can also calm down the tangs. Lastly growing tank for growing tang is the mission : )
Yeah I used to do that with my flowerhorn, so I can do that with the tangs as well. Thank you for the tip!
From sps I have a Monti now, but I’ll get some simple corals like birdsnest, pocillopora, stylophora, etc. These are mainly what I plan on keeping in sps, so I can try that. At what percentage would you suggest keeping the lights? I have Radions. Haha that’s the eventual plan, love that line! Growing tank for growing tangs!!!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the yellow and purple make sure they are about the same size and add together. Ive kept both together in my 125 gallon (6 foot) tank no issues
The yellows that come here are very small, like a little bigger than quarters. So, I am planning on keeping the yellow in the refuge for about 3 months before I move him into the main tank. After about 1 or 2 months when he gets a little bigger I’ll add a purple tang, that will be the last fish in the tank. What do you think? That should work right?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellows that come here are very small, like a little bigger than quarters. So, I am planning on keeping the yellow in the refuge for about 3 months before I move him into the main tank. After about 1 or 2 months when he gets a little bigger I’ll add a purple tang, that will be the last fish in the tank. What do you think? That should work right?
I would add them to the DT at the same time.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid that the small yellow tang will not be able to fight with the bigger purple tang, what do you think?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid that the small yellow tang will not be able to fight with the bigger purple tang, what do you think?
If added at the same time they will develop a pecking order.

If added at the same time they don't have established territories.

If added at the same time the other tangs will have to choose who to chase so one won't get the brunt of all the attacking.

More upside to adding at the same time.

Your first idea of putting the yellow in the sump is good while the purple is in the QT. Then to the display at the same time.

You are going to QT, right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys I have a 5x2x2 feet 150 gallon tank. I love how tangs look and was making a list of the ones that I want.

Tangs that I currently have:
Blue tang x 1
Tomini Tang x 1
Yellow Tang x 1 (it’s on pre-order)

The tangs that I want:
Purple Tang x 1
Desjardinii Tang x 1

Now before you guys get all tang police on me please hear me out

The tank has a somewhat open scape and it will be lps and soft coral dominated with some sps corals.

The tomini tang and blue tang are are already in the tank and I’m getting the yellow tang soon. Since the yellow tang will be really small I’m planning on keeping by him in my refugium for 2-3 months before adding him to the main tank.

Other than that, I really want the yellow tang in order to make the “Golden Trio of Tangs” as they call it which consists of the yellow, purple and blue tang, or so that’s what I read at least. Even if it’s not, I still really like the purple tang!

That makes it a total of 4 tangs, I really love the Desjardinii tang and would love to have it, from what I’ve read they grow very fast and get very big, but I know someone who has a Red Sea 750XXL with a Desjardinii tang that is about 6 years old and it’s not even 7 inches yet. So I was hoping that I could get the Desjardinii as well, do let me know!

The other fish that I have (ticked ones) also want to get are:
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple Firefish x 1 ✅
Royal Gramma x 1
Midas Blenny x 1
Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow Wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko Fairy Wrasse x 1
Red Head Solon Wrasse x 1
Earmuff Wrasse x 1
Ornate Leopard Wrasse x 1 ✅
White Leopard Wrasse x 1
Lyretail Anthias x 4 (1 male and 3 females)
Chromis x 6 ✅

If I exclude the tangs, I basically have 10 more fish to add. Initially I planned on a mixed reef tank with all types of corals but then I changed it to a tank which is dominated by soft and lps corals. I have a plate like rock which I will fill with meaty corals and in the back I will put soft corals that grow kind of like trees, like colt, Kenya and gorgonians. Plan on making a rock with mushrooms and toadstools. I will also get some easy to keep sps.
Dont see an issue with this especially with 6 ft run and 2 foot depth. Add in order of temperament and focus on potential size ranges full grown

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back