450 Gallon Starphire Aquarium (AGE Build)

805reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they provide a new updated napkin drawing?

Qr0ASMbl.jpg

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they dropped the ball again. Not going to beat the dead horse anymore. Time to move on.

Roger from AGE is stopping by our office today to start the ball rolling on our new aquarium. We have made some changes to dimensions to accommodate dual 16" Synergy Reef external overflows at Roger's recommendation.
New dimensions are 96" x 36" x 30" ( I tried so hard to convince my boss to drop to 28" or 26" on height but he's dead set on 30" )
So yeah, we will have a true Starphire 450 gallon tank in several weeks time ;Joyful

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened this time around with glass cages?
I don't want to sound bitter. Let's just say they consistently live up to their reputation and leave it at that. We received a full refund, so I am quite happy to forget about them and the experience.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to sound bitter. Let's just say they consistently live up to their reputation and leave it at that. We received a full refund, so I am quite happy to forget about them and the experience.

Haha I understand, I wouldn't have taken it as being bitter. You paid for a product and they failed to deliver twice, I'd be upset too

Toomnymods

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was quite the buzzkill.
Next steps:
1) Stop payment on CC
2) Look for a tank manufacturer that has their stuff together. (suggestions welcomed)

I should have known from the hand drawn design diagram that something was terribly wrong lol

you should try Planet Aquariums, their in Dallas. They built my 220 with black silicone and it has amazing quality..

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should try Planet Aquariums, their in Dallas. They built my 220 with black silicone and it has amazing quality..
We've decided to go with AGE for the new tank build. Roger visited us in person yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Just received the official invoice for the AGE tank > $7000 delivered. I hate you, state tax :mad:

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an exciting update:
Roger and the guys at AGE came through with a beautiful tank that is now sitting in our lobby waiting to be equipped and stocked. The difference between this tank and the one from glasscages is night and day. I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

Dimensions: 96" x 36" x 30" (450 Gallons)

front-tank-shot.jpg

hallway-view-tank.jpg

corner-tank-shot.jpg

tank-inside-office-shot.jpg

real-reef-rocks.jpg
walt-smith-rocks.jpg

reef-octopus-regal300s.jpg
coral-pro-salt.jpg

There is still tons of work to be done and equipment to order.

SUMP:
We ordered a Bashsea 60" Signature Series sump, which should arrive this week.
SAND:
Our sand should arrive this week or early next week. We went with a mixture of caribsea special grade and tropic eden reef flakes. 400lbs total
ROCKS:
Rocks have arrived, 150lbs real reef rock and 110lbs walt smith. I'll probably need to order a bit more.
SKIMMER:
Reef Octopus Regal 300S

Next purchases will probably be pumps, powerheads, and lights.

Still have no clue what lights we'll be ordering. The 30" depth is probably going to limit my options to only the high end stuff. We're going for mixed reef fyi.

Stay tuned for some more updates and feel free to drop some suggestions.

IvanW

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased to hear that all is working out for you.I have an AGE tank exact dimensions as yours and I am extremely happy with it,they really put out a good product. You are welcome to see what mine looks like and what happened to the previous one,you will be happy that you cancelled your order,even though my first tank was not from Glass Cages (Out of the flood,resurrection of my 650 gallon system) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/out-of-the-flood-resurrection-of-my-650-gallon-system) just do a search. It will make you and your boss feel better I promise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased to hear that all is working out for you.I have an AGE tank exact dimensions as yours and I am extremely happy with it,they really put out a good product. You are welcome to see what mine looks like and what happened to the previous one,you will be happy that you cancelled your order,even though my first tank was not from Glass Cages (Out of the flood,resurrection of my 650 gallon system) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/out-of-the-flood-resurrection-of-my-650-gallon-system) just do a search. It will make you and your boss feel better I promise.
Thanks, we are already super thrilled. The quality difference is remarkable. Learned a new lesson in the 'you get what you pay for' department.
I tried visiting your thread, but the link isnt working.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a search under that title
Got it. Yikes!
I'm glad you didn't quit at that point. Good on ya and thanks for sharing your experience.
We surely dodged the same fate by not accepting the second tank. I don't know if we're happier about the new tank or about being done with GC ;)

Update:
Water holding tanks have arrived. 100g norwesco tanks purchased locally. Time to get started on the water station!
Water station will be remote in our warehouse with plumbing directly to the tank for water changes.
water-tanks.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Awesome man and glad to persevered!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to decide on lighting.
I've been considering a few different options, please let me know what you think if you have personal experience with these:

( Tank dimensions = 96" x 36" x 30" )

1) AI Hydra 52 x 8................................ = $4800
2) Reef Breeders Photon V2 48" x 4.... = $2600
3) Radion XR30wG4 x 8..................... = $5200
4) Kessil AP700 x 4 (36" x 24" covg)... = $3600

Because the Kessil AP700 has a minimum coverage of 36" x 24", that is the one I'm leaning towards at the moment.
The others cover 24" x 24" which means I would have to use rows of two to cover the width of the tank.
I like the price point of the Photon V2's, but I saw a video of some highly pronounced disco ball effect that scared me a bit.
Any other options I should be considering here?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back