+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170730_102545.jpg

Again, pardon my messy room, but here is a picture of everything setup together! I'm using the CFL to get good pictures while I wait for my lights to be shipped :)

I'll be cleaning up the clutter, and tidying everything up soon. For right now, I'm just glad everything works! I also have a check valve on the return pipe to keep it from overflowing my sump in the event of a power outage.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

K. Steven

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 557754

Again, pardon my messy room, but here is a picture of everything setup together! I'm using the CFL to get good pictures while I wait for my lights to be shipped :)

I'll be cleaning up the clutter, and tidying everything up soon. For right now, I'm just glad everything works! I also have a check valve on the return pipe to keep it from overflowing my sump in the event of a power outage.

You don't need a light when cycling. It will only cause unnecessary algae to grow once you get detectable nitrate. I made that mistake on my first tank and started behind the 8-ball right off the bat.

LJC6780

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my own place, I'll get upgrade to a larger tank, and drill that. I do agree that its definitely more peace of mind, and I'd like to be able to drill a deeper hole so I can do water changes without have to use a siphon in a future setup. But, for now, overflow box it is!

Are you talking a separate hole only for water changes or making your overflow hole lower?

If you make your overflow hole lower you'll need quite a large sump to handle the water volume should your pump go out or be turned off for whatever reason ...

It would be interesting to add a lower hole specifically for water changes. I'm curious how that would be plumbed.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a light when cycling. It will only cause unnecessary algae to grow once you get detectable nitrate. I made that mistake on my first tank and started behind the 8-ball right off the bat.
The light is just for the chaetomorpha in my sump and for the occasional picture

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking a separate hole only for water changes or making your overflow hole lower?

If you make your overflow hole lower you'll need quite a large sump to handle the water volume should your pump go out or be turned off for whatever reason ...

It would be interesting to add a lower hole specifically for water changes. I'm curious how that would be plumbed.

I haven't thought it through too much lol. I won't be doing it on this tank, but I've seen a few people with large tanks using a similar system. I believe they have it plumbed directly into a utility sink or something of the sort.

OP
OP
S

Shockfiend

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Evergrow lights this weekend, and there seemed to be a hardware issue. I contacted Amazon and asked for a replacement. If it still has issues a second time, I guess I'll just have to cough up more cash for a more reputable brand. :(

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! Did you use any adhesive to get your rocks to stay together? Is the rock touching the bottom, or is it laying on top of the sand?

U usually have it touch the bottoms then use the sand against rocks to help support them

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Extreme Corals
Back