Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B that was used to treat a pair of tangs for velvet. Both tangs survived treatment in Coppersafe and were traded into my LFS when I got out of larger tanks. I now have the desire to use that same 40B to set up a freshwater planted tank with some ram cichlids.

How do I go about making that tank safe for my future freshwater inhabitants?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B that was used to treat a pair of tangs for velvet. Both tangs survived treatment in Coppersafe and were traded into my LFS when I got out of larger tanks. I now have the desire to use that same 40B to set up a freshwater planted tank with some ram cichlids.

How do I go about making that tank safe for my future freshwater inhabitants?
Rinse it out really well, and then fill it up and let it sit for a couple days, and then test the water for any undesirables. As long as it's rinsed out really well you should be good to go

Avast

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That easy huh? I guess I was over complicating things in my head. I'll rinse it really well and maybe do a wipe down with bleach.
Yup! Silicone doesn't really soak up much, and as long as you rinse the glass off there shouldn't really be anything left behind to worry about with the new setup :) That plus freshwater can tolerate alot more than a saltwater can. Now if you had rock or something in there and wanted to reuse that, it'd be a little more complicated as rock can soak up unwanted nutrients and heavy metals and leech them out over time.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything going in the tank will be new. I was just worried about contamination in the tank with the copper. Still have a lot of research still left on canister filters, CO2 and lighting... leaning towards two Kessil A160 tuna suns, go figure that koolaid is addictive.

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will get rid of the slime coating from the saltwater. Rinse and then wipe down with vinegar. The vinegar precipitates any of the remaining copper into a harmless form. Rinse once more and let dry for a few days. My standard clean up for qt tanks. Seems to work well. I love freshwater planted tanks. Have one going right now. And rams are one of my favorites. Water conditions for them are a bit of a challenge. They are river fish and like a bit more than usual flow in the planted tank than normal. Merry Christmas!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything going in the tank will be new. I was just worried about contamination in the tank with the copper. Still have a lot of research still left on canister filters, CO2 and lighting... leaning towards two Kessil A160 tuna suns, go figure that koolaid is addictive.
Love me that Koolaid!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will get rid of the slime coating from the saltwater. Rinse and then wipe down with vinegar. The vinegar precipitates any of the remaining copper into a harmless form. Rinse once more and let dry for a few days. My standard clean up for qt tanks. Seems to work well. I love freshwater planted tanks. Have one going right now. And rams are one of my favorites. Water conditions for them are a bit of a challenge. They are river fish and like a bit more than usual flow in the planted tank than normal. Merry Christmas!
I've had FW before but it's always been something simple with some fast growing weeds thrown in the tank to pull nitrates. Fish were whatever looked cool at the LFS and survived the other tank mates. This time I'm wanting to take my time and really scape up something attractive and stick with a theme. Gonna be a slow build too, I've got my 35 cube reef to keep up at the same time.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found planted freshwater tanks to be more time consuming then my reef tank. I recently tore this tank down and turned it into a piranha tank due to the plant maintenance......
Tank1.JPG

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a relaxing look compared to a buzzing reef @Waters Beautiful! Awhile ago I came across a planted tank competition and was amazed at the natural beauty and detail.
@Robin Haselden thanks for bringing the SURF & TURF for the New Year!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back