3D printed frag rack - PLA infill recommendations?

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey 3D reefers! My son is working on a 3D printed frag rack for me.

The question is what should the infill percentage be for PLA filament? He’s used to printing at only 15%. My understanding is that with a higher percentage the plastic will be less buoyant.

Planning to repurpose some acrylic encased magnets for the project.

Liftoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my understanding you do not want air in your print.
What can help here is to not even need an "infill" but rather design the piece in way that you have honeycombs from the top to bottom (reference https://blog.prusa3d.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-infills_43579/ , honeycomb). This is an elegant way to not need to print an infill and therefore also not need a "cover" on top or below the infill.

However, I do not have experience with frag rack printing, I am also interested what other people did :)

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my understanding you do not want air in your print.
What can help here is to not even need an "infill" but rather design the piece in way that you have honeycombs from the top to bottom (reference https://blog.prusa3d.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-infills_43579/ , honeycomb). This is an elegant way to not need to print an infill and therefore also not need a "cover" on top or below the infill.

However, I do not have experience with frag rack printing, I am also interested what other people did :)
Thx for the input.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use petg filament with 100% infill for my frag racks.
Thank you bro, I was reading about PETG filament earlier today and that being the standard for reefing. Will have to order some for future tank projects.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back