Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5-gallon fluvial flex mixed reef. I currently have two clowns and a firefish goby. What kind of fish should I get next? I'm looking for fish that are fairly hardy, fairly easy to feed and have a good personality. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5-gallon fluvial flex mixed reef. I currently have two clowns and a firefish goby. What kind of fish should I get next? I'm looking for fish that are fairly hardy, fairly easy to feed and have a good personality. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Nice tank. What clowns you got? I would only add about 6 maybe 7 fish and top it at that so the bio-load isn’t too much. Guessing the tank is a 2 footer. Idk what yiur scape looks like, but a good amount of hiding places with open area(s) is best. Here are some ideas:

Yellow Head Jawfish: you would need a deep sand bed though atleast 3” so if you don’t want to add that much sand than you can ignore this one.)

Yasha Goby: 1“-2” of sand for them to have a small burrow is good. These guys have good character but you wont see them all the time as they are pretty cryptic.

Chalk Bass: one of my all time favorites for a nano. A pair or trio would look really nice.

Royal Gramma: Already suggested.

Geometric Perchlet: A tiny hawk fish and beucse it’s a hawk fish it has some of the best character. They don’t have a swim bladder so they will hop along the rocks and swim funny if they decide to go for a jog.

I hope these suggestions help.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. What clowns you got? I would only add about 6 maybe 7 fish and top it at that so the bio-load isn’t too much. Guessing the tank is a 2 footer. Idk what yiur scape looks like, but a good amount of hiding places with open area(s) is best. Here are some ideas:

Yellow Head Jawfish: you would need a deep sand bed though atleast 3” so if you don’t want to add that much sand than you can ignore this one.)

Yasha Goby: 1“-2” of sand for them to have a small burrow is good. These guys have good character but you wont see them all the time as they are pretty cryptic.

Chalk Bass: one of my all time favorites for a nano. A pair or trio would look really nice.

Geometric Perchlet: A tiny hawk fish and beucse it’s a hawk fish it has some of the best character. They don’t have a swim bladder so they will hop along the rocks and swim funny if they decide to go for a jog.

Thank you for the suggestions!! I have Mocha ocellaros clowns by the way. With my scape, I have lots of rock to hide in and a decent amount of open space. The tank is 32.5 x 19.25 x 19.25, so it's around 2.8 ft long.

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you think maybe 6-7 is a little too much? I have a 40 gallon and that the absolute max for the tank considering I maintain it heavily to keep the bioload from becoming to much and producing those nasty stuff

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions!! I have Mocha ocellaros clowns by the way. With my scape, I have lots of rock to hide in and a decent amount of open space. The tank is 32.5 x 19.25 x 19.25, so it's around 2.8 ft long.
I would suggest if you got a yasha goby to get a pistol shrimp so they could pair up or buy then as a pair

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think maybe 6-7 is a little too much? I have a 40 gallon and that the absolute max for the tank considering I maintain it heavily to keep the bioload from becoming to much and producing those nasty stuff
Every tank is different. Different tanks though roughly the same size and live stock have and can handle different bio-load amounts. 6 or 7, but tops. I wouldn’t recommend having that ‘top’ of many fish, but if it ends up working than hey ho. Personally 5 fish would be my max, if I had one of the sand dwellers not taking too much swim room.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different. Different tanks though roughly the same size and live stock have and can handle different bio-load amounts. 6 or 7, but tops. I wouldn’t recommend having that ‘top’ of many fish, but if it ends up working than hey ho. Personally 5 fish would be my max, if I had one of the sand dwellers not taking too much swim room.
I agree. I think 5-6 seems like a good max. Thanks for the help!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get a photo of your rock scape?
tempImagec1SPxD.jpg

Sorry for the corals being closed up. My lights just came on

Top Shelf Aquatics

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a royal gramma or flame hawk…both have great personality!
I wouldn’t recommend a Flame hawk fish as they get big and aggressive.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 6 should be the top number. However you could add some shrimps, such as a coral banded shrimp. Mine is very active and as much fun to look at that my fish.
I've kept two cleaner shrimp over my tanks year and a half, but they both died within months of me getting them. I did LOVE them while they were alive though. Amazing animals

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is macro algae. No corals. I got the shrimp because I had many bristle worms, and I read that this shrimp eats them. I have never seen her eating them though, except the time I got one and fed it to her.
I feed the fish frozen Hikari food, and the shrimp gets in the middle, jumps, and tries to catch the pieces. It is fun. She has molted 4 times since I got her.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back