Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, over the last 4 years of running a large 340 gallon mixed reef aquarium, I have some pretty large fish now. A Caribbean blue tang that is almost outgrowing the tank (10-12" around and THICK), a 10-12" creole Anthia, and a Dragon Wrasse that's 8" long just to name a few. I also have a medium sized black long nosed tang and mimick - chocolate tang.

My fish eat around 2-3 ounces of frozen food and 1 sheet of nori per day on average.

I'm needing to make my next round of fish food:

I follow the BRS recipe pretty closely:

Costco: Frozen Shrimp (raw and shelled) and Raw mahi ahi tuna. Sometimes they have scallops as well that I mix in.

For the rest, I mix in nori, Max Aminos (Fish aminos), selcon, and sometimes a bottle of bottled fish eggs.
I also add calanous powder and phyto powder (red and green finely ground powders) and mix with what my fish like best, freeze dried mysis. I tried Krill... Yeah, not even the dragon wrasse liked freeze dried krill (I don't blame them, Krill looks creepy).

I add some benefits reef powder to it as well to feed the corals too.

That said, Just wondering, if there's anything else I should add to make my food more nutritious for food. Just want to change things up a little for them to have something different, but not too much either.

What have you done if you make your own fish food?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's some gourmet meal for your fish! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I'm too lazy to make my own fish food but if I ever did I'd definitely use High Performance Diet (HPD) from American Reef. Fed 10+ yrs to his tangs and created by a local zoo/aquarium, economical and highly nutritious.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have your bases covered. I wouldnt mess with your recipe. Youve got good proteins, vegetable matter and adding selcon for vitamins. Thats a perfect food and then you added coral foods on top. Very good, I will be stealing this recipe.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back